cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

911 for phones that move between offices

markoller
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CCM 4.1 centralized for several offices. I have local trunks for 911 access in each office. My problem is that I don't know how to configure CCM so that if a user from Corporate takes his 7940 to one of the remotes for week, if he dials 911, he dials out of the Corporate locations trunks which is not good. Any way for CCM to automatically know that the phone is in a different location and route 911 calls accordingly.

5 Replies 5

gene
Level 1
Level 1

I have never used it but I am pretty sure you need emergency responder to accomplish this. Whis is another Cisco product.

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You will need CER.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

ksilva
Level 1
Level 1

ER server is the right way to do it

But in a pinch, use Extension Mobility instead of physically moving phones, besides what a pain in the neck.

You will use a CallIngSearch Space on the phone device that only includes the local 911 partitions, on the line of the device do what ever you want for class of service routes. When user logs into the phone at the other office use a CallingSearch space on the device profile that includes no 911 patterns, and only contains partitions with NXX/NPA dialing.

The call manager will concatenate the two calling search spaces for the dialed string, thus the phone CSS covers the 911 stuff, and the line CSS covers your class of service stuff.

jleon22
Level 1
Level 1

An alternative design is to use extension mobility so that the user doesn't actually have to pick up his physical phone, but just logs into a phone.

Hello,

I don't think Cisco ER will help here, since it only works between clusters, not within a cluster. For example if user A is normally on a LAN switch that is part of Cluster1 and ER1's domain, and then they log into a phone connected to switch2 that is part of ER2's domain (that includes Cluster2), ER will tell the Cluster2 that it should route the call, even though the user is logged into Cluster1.

In other words, ER only works for a user changing from one CCM Cluster/ER domain to another CCM Cluster/ER domain.

If site1 and site2's switches are part of the same ER domain, a user logging in at site2 won't trigger ER, since they are within their home ER domain.

ER simply selects which CCM cluster will route the 911 call based on which switch a user is connected to.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: