cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

911 - How to test

r-reed
Level 1
Level 1

How do you go about testing 911. Is there some way to work with the PSAP in a test mode. I don't think they would like having you call to find out what you are sending.

3 Replies 3

oconnost
Level 1
Level 1

Contact your local PSAP and advise them of the numbers you would like to test. In Illinois I simply call SBC and they arrange the test.

Steve

gshonting
Level 1
Level 1

The way I have done it is to find out what the NON-EMERGENCY number is for the local police dispatch office, the calls are looked up in the same database as 911, and can tell you if they see the address correct (the most critical piece of information). I have on occasion actually dialed 911 and immediately told them that we are testing a new phone system, and asked them to tell us what address is showing up on the screen, but if you do that, be fast and concise, and don't do it too much. I have asked several people I know in the telecom business as well as our local service provider and noone seems to have a good answer as to what the best way to test 911 is.

Everyone tests 911 differently and almost any local 911 center is already aware that sometimes they will be receiving a test call from a vendor. In my experience it has always been best to test first with a non-emergency number. This let's you do a few things all at once, most importantly it tells you you have 2 way audio across your gateway without having the 911 center dispatch to your location (VERY bad!!!). The non-emergency number can, as pointed out earlier, also tell you you have the correct address associated with the line. I will always recommend a single test after all other verifications have been done to the real 911 center on the "go live" config. This allows you to verify that in changing route patterns/dial peers from the non-emergency number, you have not missed/miskeyed something.

A SINGLE test, with, "We are testing ouremergency lines, can you verify my address for me please?" seems to catch the least flak from whatever 911 center you reach.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: