Replies

Access or Trunk port - Voice VLAN ??

j-guardapuclla
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ,

We have the following scenary :

2950 switch - - -IP Phones

Is necessary configure the switch port to activate the 802.1q if We only will connect IP phones , not PCs ?

What happen if we configured the switch port like access port , the switch will understand the Cos sent by the IP phone ?

Here the possible config :

interface FastEthernet0/X

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan (Voice Vlan)

spanning-tree portfast

Sorry but the english isn´t my native language ..

Brgds/Juan Carlos G.

3 Replies 3

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

I would recommend you to leave the port as access and using the switchport voice vlan u will start using VVLAN assignments for the IP phone.

Good link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5213/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801ce02c.html#1002608

/Gonz

subbarao.s
Level 1
Level 1

When you use Cisco Voice VLAN feature, port need not be confiugred as trunk explicitly. Voice vlan information is negotiaed via CDP between switch IP Phone.

Even if you configure switch port as trunk, there is no harm in it. Use trunk native VLAN for data in that case.

HTH,

Subba

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

I would read the specific switch manual. The older 3500XL/2950XL required the phone be a dot1q trunk, the newer switches the manual states to only use switchport voice vlan x.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: