cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Digital Media Suite (DMM, SNS, DMP, Edge) Configuration & Troubleshooting

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to this Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about configuring and troubleshooting the Digital Media Suite (DMM, SNS, DMP, Edge) with Cisco expert, Swati Chopra.

December 8th through December 19, 2014

The Cisco Digital Media Suite (DMS) is a comprehensive offering of webcast and video sharing, digital signage, and business IP-based broadcast television (IPTV) applications that can help transform how organizations learn, grow, communicate, and collaborate. Today, digital media is the single most compelling platform for effectively communicating information about news, training, and events to customers, employees, partners, and students. Cisco DMS is split into three functional subsystems: Digital Signage, Enterprise TV, and Desktop Video.

More detailed information about specific Cisco DMS products can be found at the following URL:
http://www.cisco.com/web/solutions/dms

global site selector gss data center application networking Swati Chopra is a CCNA, CCNP, and VCP certified TAC lead for content switching, covering technologies such as Cisco Application Control Engine, Cisco Wide Area Application Services, Global Site Selector, Cisco Content Services Switches, and Digital Media Suite. She has been with Cisco for four years  and has worked with high-end customers on Data center technologies. She completed her master’s degree in finance; was heading an online education project in collaboration with e-Sylvan, and later moved to technical services due to her love for technology. She is actively involved with diverse Cisco initiatives such as Connected Women, WISE, Cisco Career Connections and recently led Cisco's Executive Shadow Program's communication pillar. She is also passionate about community service and works with “Second Harvest Food Bank”.

December 8th through December 19, 2014

6 Replies 6

Sarah Staker
Level 1
Level 1

hello Swati..

I am trying to upload DMP but it fails with "Maximum number of attempts to upgrade dmp-4400 reached please try again”. How can I fix this issue? Thanks

Hi Sarah,

This generally happens when the upgrade file is corrupted. So instead of displaying a corrupted upgrade file message we see the error you are seeing at the moment.

Check md5sum of the downloaded file. Use the following tool if you are on windows:

http://www.winmd5.com/

Now get md5sum from Cisco download center:

When you do mouse-over on the image at download center, it will display image details including md5sum.

Check if the md5sum from download center matches the one received for downloaded file.

If it does not match, initiate another download for upgrade file. Once md5sum matches, the upgrade will be successful.

Let me know if you face further issues after this.

Thanks,

Swati

John James
Level 1
Level 1

1. I have currently have a Digital Media Manager Appliance, SN# 2UX0260102 and I am running Version 5.3.6. Most of my content developers use urls sites to present digital signage. I have 5  DMP4310g-54-K9  players made in 2012 that I have not been able to use because they have not browser.  How can I make them functional within this system even if I have to use them as standalone players?

2. Next question I have nine 4305s and I need to replace them, what ideals do you have that would allow me to gradually replace them as they fail?  We have some money to upgrade but we have 4 departments and each one would have to fund their own individual upgrade.  My customer does not want a cloud solution we are looking for an enterprise solution that can be managed internally.

Hi John,

Thanks for the questions!

Please find the answers below:

1. Web browser support for 4310g came with 5.4 code and I see that your setup has 5.2 and 5.3 softwares on dmp's. You can plan to upgrade to 5.4 to get browser support for 4310g. Here are the release notes for more information on 5.4 code.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_4/dms/release/notes/dms54rn.html#pgfId-290081

2. If cisco replaces the devices due to any hardware fault we always send the similar model back unless there is no stock left in store. In such cases we may upgrade to higher hardware but those cases are rare and I have not seen much of them either.

The best possible approach would be to work with the Accounts team or your local reseller. They can give you better deals to upgrade these devices at competitive prices.

Hope this helps!

Please feel free to revert if you have followup questions.

Thanks,

Swati

My DMS devices are at 5.3 version. I have ad authentication setup successfully. Recently I added some 2200 users on ldap but they do not get reflected to dmm. I try the update functionality and it goes till 300 users but then it fails with error message "Error loading Bookmark.”. How can I add these users to DMM?

Hi Jackson,

Thanks for the query!

I have seen this issue with AD 2008 R2 SP1 and when we update more than 500 users.

There are a couple of workarounds for this issue:

1. Try the overwrite option and it will add all users for now.

2. Apply the DSA heuristics registry key workaround specified in the 'Workaround' section of the Microsoft KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2468316

Specifically, on your Active Directory server:

1. Click Start, type regedit in the "Search programs and files" box, and then press ENTER.
   2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      <HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters>
   3. On the Edit menu, point to "New", and then click "String Value".
   4. Type "DSA Heuristics", and then press ENTER.
   5. Right-click "DSA Heuristics", and then click Modify.
   6. In the "Value data" box, type "000000000001", and then click OK.
   7. Exit Registry Editor.

If this workaround does not fix the problem, then try installing the hotfixes specified in the above mentioned KB article as well as the KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977180

Rebooting your AD server may be necessary after updating the registry and applying patches.

3. This is permanently fixed with 5.3.6 so you may try to upgrade to get a fix.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Swati

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: