Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA 186

sevans1979
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Does anyone know how to break a password on a ATA 186? I tried the factory reset sequence and it didnt work. It just asked for the password again.

Thanks in advance

Scott

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Scott,

It sounds like this ATA has been been set with the UI password which prevents factory resets etc. Have a look;

Starting with v2.16, Cisco introduced a setting that would permit the device to be locked such that it is impossible to recover or reset the password under any circumstances. The rumor is that a certain large VoIP long distance company demanded that this be added so that their customers would stop selling the ATA-186 units that came with their inexpensive introductory offer. This "locking" setting is optional, so it is not the case that all v2.16 units are unusable, just that it is possible that they are unusable

Password Protection for Factory Reset and Local Upgrade

Factory reset and local upgrade using the voice configuration menu can now be protected with the User Interface (UI) UI password. If the UI password (UIPassword parameter) is enabled, the Cisco ATA prompts the user for the password before a factory reset or upgrade is allowed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Users must keep the password in a safe location. If the UI password is lost or forgotten, there is no way to recover it.

Hope this helps!

Sorry about that, but if this device has Smartnet support Tac might be able to help:(

Rob

yeah, looks like I am out of luck.

I did the menu option of 21 to review the ip address and there is'nt one set. The ip address, route address are all blank. But there is still the password on it lol.

Oh well

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: