Views
Helpful
Replies

Broadcloud Question

LibinBenedict
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a few questions related to Cisco UCaaS offerings:

Is Cisco Broadcloud and Cisco Broadcloud Calling same?

Broadcloud is mentioned as fully managed and hosted by Cisco whereas, on the same page, it is mentioned: "Cisco Broadcloud Calling for service providers".

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/unified-communications/broadcloud/index.html#~stickynav=2

If they are different, are they both part of the Collaboration Flex Plan?

Where does Broadworks come in this as I understand Broadworks is provided by Service providers?

Thanks in advance,

Libin Benedict

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dpeak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there Libin, I manage the BroadCloud and BroadWorks SE team, so I'm probably in a good position to answer this question for you. It goes like this.

First, Cisco runs a cloud calling platform called BroadCloud. This platform was acquired when Cisco acquired BroadSoft a year ago. BroadCloud has BroadWorks at its core for call control, then it has all the PSTN interworking and OSS/BSS systems wrapped around the call control to create a full cloud delivered calling and collaboration solution.

Next, right now in late February 2019, Cisco runs two different cloud calling services on that platform and they are:

1. Cisco BroadCloud for Carriers
  2. Cisco BroadCloud Calling

BroadCloud for Carriers is a legacy BroadSoft service that's been in the market for many years now. It is white labeled by Service Providers (like Verizon for example), and is NOT a part of a Flex offer.

BroadCloud Calling is a new Cisco offer, released in November of 2018, and is offered through a number of Service Providers, including CBTS, NWN, and Sprint. BroadCloud calling IS in Flex, so this is the offer that can drive comp for the Cisco sellers and channels.

There is going to be a third Cisco BroadCloud offer in Flex released very soon, but we have to wait for the Enterprise Connect announcement before we can publicly discuss the detail on that.

I'll also note that the old Spark Call/old Webex Calling service (not based on anything from BroadSoft) is in pure sustaining mode, and is not available to any new customers (even if existing customers can add seats to it), as Cisco shifts its focus away from that platform over to the BroadCloud platform.

Then finally, on the topic of BroadWorks, that is the core software call control system/VoIP application server that is hosted by Service Providers. Service Providers then wrap a complete service (PSTN, ordering, billing, support, etc) around BroadWorks to offer to their end customers. BroadWorks is kind of like HCS, in the sense that it's a partner hosted platform. Also as mentioned at the top, BroadWorks is the core call control system for BroadCloud, so in that sense, it's the core of BroadCloud.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Understand that any response here cannot include forward-looking information as that would require an NDA; I encourage you to ask your Cisco AM & SE for a discussion on this topic.

As I understand it, Broadsoft has/had two UCaaS offers: Broadworks is purchased by service providers and installed in their networks, around which they wrapped their backofffice platforms (eg provisioning and billing) along with PSTN connectivity. This is true carrier-grade gear, natively multi-tenent, and massively scalable.

Broadcloud was basically Broadworks except hosted by Broadsoft plus a set of backoffice tools and PSTN connectivity all wrapped in. It was turnkey.

For the moment, there are a limited number of Cisco partners - typically those that had prexisting Broadsoft partnerships - that can sell the Broadcloud offering under Cisco licensing models. Obviously, the carrier partners continue with their Broadworks-based offers.

Thanks for the response Jonathan.

Can you please tell me whether BroadCloud and BroadCloud Calling are the same?

Thanks,

Libin Benedict

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To put it relatively simply:

BroadWorks is BroadSoft's core call-control software platform.

BroadCloud is Broadsoft's SaaS model - which is BroadWorks + the Channel Support System.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

dpeak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there Libin, I manage the BroadCloud and BroadWorks SE team, so I'm probably in a good position to answer this question for you. It goes like this.

First, Cisco runs a cloud calling platform called BroadCloud. This platform was acquired when Cisco acquired BroadSoft a year ago. BroadCloud has BroadWorks at its core for call control, then it has all the PSTN interworking and OSS/BSS systems wrapped around the call control to create a full cloud delivered calling and collaboration solution.

Next, right now in late February 2019, Cisco runs two different cloud calling services on that platform and they are:

1. Cisco BroadCloud for Carriers
  2. Cisco BroadCloud Calling

BroadCloud for Carriers is a legacy BroadSoft service that's been in the market for many years now. It is white labeled by Service Providers (like Verizon for example), and is NOT a part of a Flex offer.

BroadCloud Calling is a new Cisco offer, released in November of 2018, and is offered through a number of Service Providers, including CBTS, NWN, and Sprint. BroadCloud calling IS in Flex, so this is the offer that can drive comp for the Cisco sellers and channels.

There is going to be a third Cisco BroadCloud offer in Flex released very soon, but we have to wait for the Enterprise Connect announcement before we can publicly discuss the detail on that.

I'll also note that the old Spark Call/old Webex Calling service (not based on anything from BroadSoft) is in pure sustaining mode, and is not available to any new customers (even if existing customers can add seats to it), as Cisco shifts its focus away from that platform over to the BroadCloud platform.

Then finally, on the topic of BroadWorks, that is the core software call control system/VoIP application server that is hosted by Service Providers. Service Providers then wrap a complete service (PSTN, ordering, billing, support, etc) around BroadWorks to offer to their end customers. BroadWorks is kind of like HCS, in the sense that it's a partner hosted platform. Also as mentioned at the top, BroadWorks is the core call control system for BroadCloud, so in that sense, it's the core of BroadCloud.

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed and wonderful explanation. This has almost cleared my confusion.

One last query. Can we say Broadcloud for Carriers and Broadworks works in a similar way in that it is for the service providers? Or Broadcloud for Carriers is hosted by Cisco and Broadworks by service providers?

Thanks,

Libin Benedict

Here's how'd I say it. In terms of the channel, BroadWorks is sold to telco Service Providers, and BroadCloud for Carriers is sold through telco Service Providers. Then, yes, Cisco runs and hosts all things BroadCloud, including BroadCloud for Carriers, and yes, telco Service Providers run and host BroadWorks. But, keep in mind that BroadWorks is at the core of BroadCloud, so in that sense, Cisco hosts BroadWorks as well, it just sits underneath the BroadCloud service wrapper, so it's not directly exposed.

Great. Thank you. It is clear now. 

Regards,

Libin Benedict

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: