cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't import subscribers into Unity from E2K

jsailers
Level 1
Level 1

We have recently duplicated a Unity server in a new domain in order to migrate users from an older domain. The major change in the new Unity server is that it's using Exchange 2000 while the old one used Exchange 5.5. There is also a different AD structure as well. The new server was installed and integrated with E2K successfully, but I'm not able to import users into Unity from E2K. I am getting the infamous error "an unrecognized error has occured". The user I attempted to import shows up in the SQL database and within Unity, but it doesn't behave like it actually exists. I've run the permission wizard, and I'm using two separate service accounts for messaging and directory services. I've read most of the posts regarding this error, and nothing seems to help. Can someone help me figure out the problem? Thanks.

16 Replies 16

Concerning the "allow inherited permissions from parent to propogate to this object" checkbox reverting back to unchecked, I found that the problem was specifically with users assigned to the "Domain Admins" group. Aftere some extensive research, I found that this is correct behavior in Windows 2000 Active Directory. In order to make changes to security permissions for users that are part of the "Domain Admins" group or the "Administrators" group, you have to also make the same changes to the security permissions of the container called "AdminSDHolder" in the "System" container. Every hour, This container's properties are compared to the Domain Admins and Administrators Security Groups as well as all the users assigned to those groups. If there are any differences, the users will be modified to look like the AsminSDHolder permissions. For more information, see MS Knowledgebase article 232199 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232199).

Interesting... I wasn't aware of this behavior, that could explain a few things, though. Thanks a bunch for the follow up.