Helpful
Replies

CCM 5.01!!

jolo07310
Level 5
Level 5

Widnows verison CCM 5.01

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/5_0/index.htm

I guess the major change is to support to SIP protocal.

Still have no paging system feature.

Any good to upgrade from 4.1 to 5.0??

Ken

30 Replies 30

CM4.2 does not have all features that CM 5.0 has. Even though CM 5.1 when it comes out, will have same features in both Windows and Linux platforms.

Also remember there is no upgrade path at this moment from 4.2 to 5.0. You can upgrade from 4.2 to 5.1 when it comes out.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Q. Does Cisco Unified CallManager 5.0 include the features that are being introduced on version 4.2 software?

A. No, some of the new features introduced on Cisco Unified CallManager 4.2 are not available on version 5.0 of Cisco Unified CallManager.

For example, Cisco Unified CallManager Assistant (formerly IP Manager Assistant) on a phone is not available on version 5.0 software. All of the

new version 4.2 features will be supported with version 5.1 software. Future releases of Cisco Unified CallManager will support a consistent set of

features, offered on a choice of Operating Systems (Microsoft Windows open server and Linux appliance models).

However, the Cisco Unified CallManager 4.x series will not support all of the new enhancements that are introduced in the Cisco Unified

CallManager 5.0 version of software, such as the appliance model implementation, the new Cisco Unified Personal Communicator and other

presence-based applications, SIP line-side support, SIP trunk enhancements, Busy Lamp Field enhancements and more.

For more info:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/partner/WWChannels/technology/ipc/downloads/CiscoUnifiedCommunicationsCallProcessing_v2.pdf

Chris

mohamedtag
Level 1
Level 1

I think also that one of the Advantages for CISCO in the Applinace Mode the unability to run some kind of Registry Patches to enable you Install the CCM Software on Non Authorized Cisco Hardware and save the Hardware Cost.. I think the Appliance Box will be very difficult to be simulated on Non Supported HW.

Plus, at this time, you wont be able to run any third party agents such as Netiq, other network management agents, antivirus etc. Hopefully in the future Cisco comes up with some solution to install such agents into CM 5.0 appliance.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Hi,

Also,The " OS " for 5.0 has very limited access ,very few commands,Database is IBM Informix which would be even more difficult to troubleshoot.Added attractions are sip based route patterns and thrid party sip phone support .

Thanks

Aman

I think Cisco will support only those third party phones that are authorized by Cisco.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

I think the objective behind introduicng Linux based CCM is to minimize the administration effort to underlying OS. Many customers are looking for this kind of Linux based appliance solution.

Competitor products like Avaya media servers known to be very stable which runs on Linux too.

Hi,

Ya ,you are right on that but it would certainly increase your options ,LiNKSYS came out with a sip phone recently ,cisco would definet;y support that.

Thanks

Aman

I think most of the customers are going to like the way the installation and upgrades are handled by CCM5.0.

Single DVD Install as opposed to multiple CDs/DVDs in Windows.

Spend few mins at beginning of the install entering the information and walk away.

No need to apply patches to Windows, SQL and then CCM etc.

Upgrades can be done remotely and allows you to fallback to old version of CCM if required.

Hi,

Yes the switch versions options good is but dont know ,how we can troubleshoot in case of OS issues because this "OS" does not have any access ,also the database is very raw.

Thanks

Aman

Idea behind the appliance model is to make the underlying OS as transparent as possible and also as stable as possible. There are CLI commands that allow you to do some troubleshooting but the list of commands will increase as need be.

You may also find that RTMT to be more powerful than it is today in Windows CCM, since RTMT will be main tool that customers will have to monitor / troubleshoot CCM5.0.

Not sure what you meant by database is very raw.

mohamedtag80
Level 1
Level 1

Assuming that the Linix OS is much more stable than the Windows , I think the availabilty of only Limited Linux Troubleshooting Commands will not be a Problem to Administrators. The issue here is the Database. Most 3rd Party Softwares that Integrate with the CCM runs under Windows and use SQL 2000 Server same as the CCM last versions. This lead to the ease of Integration between those SW and the CCM ( I am talking here about Billing SW as Nevotek and Call Recording SW as Witness ). Now on the CCM 5.0 what will be the futur of integrating those 3rd Party SW's.

Regards

M.Tag

The primary means for any 3rd Party applications to pull data from CCM5.0 is via SOAP / AXL.

For billing applications Publisher has an option to push CDR flat files to an ftp server and any billing applications can then massage the data as required.

There has been already few vendors who have tested or released some of these applications (Like billing, recording etc) for CCM5.0. I'll find out if there is a list that is posted on CCO.

If you are planning to migrate to CCM5.0 you must make sure all your 3rd party applications is going to be compatible with CCM5.0 by checking with the vendor.

I think Linux-based wont be as fun as windows-based.

What i mean is that we can't troubleshoot through "regedit", "SQL", etc like windows-based.

It is really hard for myself, after complaining windows-based for years regarding millions patch, security issue, administrative overhead, feature set.... but I have found myself that i have fun for that.....

All company might pick linux-based for their VoIP.... window-based might fake away eventually.....even 4.2 or 5.1 will come out soon.....

It is just my thought.....It might be to early to judge linux-based.... Hopefully, we will have fun to have linux-based.....

Ken

The whole point of moving away from Windows is so administrators will not HAVE to worry about the OS!

If you have Mitel you don't really worry about the VXworks it runs ,if you have CCME even you don't worry about IOS.

If it breaks you just put in another pre-loaded HDD and restore the DB. It's a GOOD thing - to hear people shouting for Antivirus etc sounds a little funny from here!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: