cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing IP addresses on H.323 devices?

mswagner
Level 1
Level 1

CCM doesn't seem to allow H.323 devices to change IP addresses. When the addresses changes (i.e. mobile users, DHCP), CCM no longer allows it to make/receive calls. We've entered the DNS name of the node as the device name. Is this supported or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks, Mike

4 Replies 4

mschlenger
Level 3
Level 3

On H.323 devices, I ALWAYS use IP hardcoded addresses to configure them. Gateway IP addresses should never need to change. As a matter of fact, I've had issues using DNS for anything related to AVVID. USE IP ADDRESSES...It should work. Use debug h.225 events to debug on routers!

Thanks. Unfortunately, dynamic IP address of PCs are a requirement. DHCP and remote dial in users are key drivers for this. Is this a known bug? 3.0(5a) appears to have the problem as well.

Mike,

My last comment was reffering to h.323 gateways and NOT h.323 clients. For netmeeting you should be able to use the PC's name. As a matter of fact, I've done it several times. Make sure your partition/calling search space, etc are allset up properly. Most important though is to make sure your DNS knows of your workstations!

Confirm that you can in fact change the IP address and CM can still route calls to/from the PC. Cisco has confirmed this to be a know problem. We're using dynamic DNS which shows the IP address always current. The PC and CM can always PING each other. Although, we do spuriously see this problem even when a PC hasn't had its IP address change. The workaround to date has been to change something in the h.323 device's db record, restart CM. Please let me know.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: