Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber Version 14 keeps crashing at startup

ziqex
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I am experiencing issues with Cisco Jabber Version 14.0.0.55563 Build 305563.

Once you launch the app it crashes and gives you option to report the problem.

Helps us resolve your problem popup is present. 

I tried clearing the credentials folder but this did not resolve the issue.

Issue present on multiple machines. I have then downgraded and tested with Jabber Version: 11.7.0.42920 and there was no any issues.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Regards,

Daniel

11 Replies 11

Not sure if it helps or not. MY friend had  similar issue with jabber 14, TAC identified the issue and it was due to recording enabled   for Jaber users. 

Response Signature

Thanks for the suggestion.

Was it recording inside directory number configuration?

I have checked recording option and it is currently set to: call recording disabled.

Recording profile set to none.

Thank you.

Yes it was recording enabled on the DN. When removed, the issue got resolved for me with 14. 

Not sure why it crash yours. Better open a TAC ticket. 

Response Signature

The case with TAC was opened. They could only see that the libcef  component is crashing. They have not provide a workaround yet apart from downgrading to 12.5 Cisco Jabber. Thanks

ziqex
Level 4
Level 4

It's been over a month and Cisco TAC still were unable to provide the solution to the issues.

Does anybody encounter similiar issue and managed to fix it?

Thank you

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Generically, a number of things have caused the application to crash, often with no clear cause or easy resolution, but we're not having this trouble with 14.0.0.

Jabber 14.0.1 "crashes" (it looks like a bug check, it doesn't actually crash just open the "Jabber has stopped working" box) and pops up Sennheiser SDK boxes.

If it's acceptable, clear the application's local data and install Jabber fresh instead of an over the top install, and see if it continues. I've had to do this before where for whatever reason one of the local databases is corrupt.

With the software upgrade URL defined, I have had this cause Jabber to crash. I'd wonder if you have an e911 popup that could do the same thing.

Generally if I had the time to go through this myself, I'd:

- Remove the configuration/local data from the machine and start fresh. Sign in and see if it crashes. Test with another JID as well. This ensures the client isn't trying to render chat history content (I believe since 11.7 it will 'restore' all the chats automatically) that it is unhappy with.

- See if you can catch in the log before it crashes out what it was trying to do, what was being passed to the renderer.

- Examine the configuration file Jabber is loading and any custom tabs/rendered content that may come with, such as the e911 notification or software update URL.

- Try with a dummy user that isn't dragging XMPP rosters/locations/etc with them to see if this is related, but it shouldn't be related to Chromium crashing.

- Delete/Rebuild the UCM device's configuration, which similarly should not be related.

- Last ditch would be to see if there's some sort of DNS/proxy based item that may be intercepting content, should your Jabber client be off parsing telemetry/webex content from the internet. I don't know if any of this touches libcef, but if you're intercepting some call and injecting content perhaps that is an issue, but I've never heard of such a thing happening, just musing.

ilan spitkovsky
Level 1
Level 1

I have faced the same issue in version 14.0(2). I opened a tac and the engineer says these are bugs CSCvz79812, CSCvz76560. I have upgraded the jabber to 14.2 version and the issue is resolved.

BrianS1
Level 1
Level 1

suddenly random employees have problems with jabber where it started to crash all the time just a few hours ago out of nowhere. deleting profile data, uninstall, reinstall nothing works. 14.2.0.58008 crashes right when you start it, 14.3.0.58392 crashes when you open the chat tab or when you receive a chat message.

its always libcef.dll showing up in the created crash reports.

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hard to speak to that without more information. Ideally the logs from the application would give you a direction to go in as to why that's happening. Chat messages are browser rendered, which I think is using a Chromium frame right now. I don't know what libcef does specifically to offer any other help with that.

bdubee
Level 1
Level 1

We were running into the issue of the Jabber crashing this morning.   We have figured out in our environment that it is related to the latest version of Microsoft Edge WebView Runtime (which happened over night.)   Our staff that is on 120.0.2210.144 for the runtime still can work in Jabber, but those that are on 121.0.2277.83 are crashing.   The suggestion was related to the Edge browser actually updating to 121.0.2277.83, but I have someone on that browser level and on the lower runtime and his Jabber is working without issue.  

We have since updated our workstations to 14.3.0.58392 and those workstations that had issues are functioning correctly, now.

yes i can confirm it is the latest update of the webview2 runtime. but i dont understand why since 14.3 is the first version that supports webview2 runtime. but the crashes also happened with 14.2

it works with 14.3 but ONLY if you dont use the new feature BROWSER_ENGINE_FOR_LOGIN=EDGE

which you normally should enable because that whay the old unsecure internet explorer engine is not used anymore. but i had to reinstall 14.3 without that new feature and then finally the crashes stopped.