Views
Helpful
Replies

CM upgrade from 6.1.1 to 7.0(2)

troymaki
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am going to be upgrading our CM this weekend and I would like to know if it is possible to run the upgrade today on the Pub and Sub and wait to reload both of them on Saturday or Sunday. When the reload happens, the Pub will be done first, then the sub. The upgrade will be installed on the inactive partition so that should be fine, right? Or is that not the way it should be done? Thanks in advance.

10 Replies 10

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Troy,

This is perfectly acceptable and is partly why this is designed this way :) We just did a Unity Connection 7.x upgrade like this yesterday using the Active/Inactive partition relationship. Just keep in mind that any changes that are done on CUCM during the intervening timeframe will be lost. So keep track.

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks for the reply Rob. I figured it would be fine to do it this way but I wanted some reassurance. Have a good weekend.

Troy

just to add a note newer CUCM versions no longer have the problem of loosing changes done after applying the upgrade. they will take a final snapshot before switching partitions to make sure all is the same

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

Hey Java,

For real? This is something I had not heard of, but sounds even better than ever! +5 points for this excellent update :)

Troy, best of luck with your upgrade this weekend. I'm sure it will go just fine.

Cheers!

Rob

Hey Rob,

Yes, it's for real =)

i don't have the doc right now on which was the 1st version to have that feature but since the real huge process of migrating the whole DB between partition is done when you install the upgrade patch, they simply added a process to take a final snapshot to compare and copy the little changes you might have done before switching partitions.

i believe it was 6.1(2) or 6.1(3) but i can look the doc next week and confirm which versions have this. i know 7.x has this feature.

HTH

java

HTH

java

One other thing you will need going from 6 to 7 is the 7.X software license.

Yes, I have the correct licenses. The upgrade went very well with only a few minor hiccups. I did the upgrade using the ISO image from a remote location using SFTP. When I tried FTP, it would error saying that there wasn't enough room on the drive. It only took an hour for the Pub and an hour for the Sub. Each one took about 15 minutes to fully come back online after I told them to restart using the new version. I was a little upset that I didn't check the default firmware loads for the phones because 7.0(2)comes with 8.4.3. I had already loaded 8.4.4 before the upgrade and it downgraded all of them. Other than that, it went good.

Rob,

Hope all is well? The info is in the version 6 and 7 SRND in the Call Processing section

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/6x/callpros.html#wp1043707

very useful to know thanks for highlighting it guys

Paul

Hey Paul,

Thanks for posting this up :) +5 points for this very kind gesture!

It looks like this is the reference that we are talking about;

"Note When upgrading from Cisco Unified CM 5.x to Unified CM 6.x, any changes made to the subscriber's database in the active partition after the start of the upgrade process will not be migrated to the new version of the database.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note When upgrading from Unified CM 6.0 to Unified CM 6.1 or later releases, any changes made to user-facing call processing features in the active partition of the subscriber's database will be migrated to the new version of the database. Any other database changes made in the active partition of the publisher's database will not be migrated to the new version of the database."

So it looks like changes like Call Forward All would be migrated but adding a new phone would not. Makes sense.

Thanks again!

Rob

Your Welcome

P

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: