cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cobra Port Usage

CARLO CALABRESE
Level 1
Level 1

I have UC 7.X and backing it up Cobra, but we are now going to back it up with another server and we have a firewall in the middle. I need to know what ports need to be open so I can tell the firewall group.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ah, my bad - I overlooked the UC which you intended to mean Unity Connection.  I had Unity stuck in my head for some reason.  So, forgive that transgression and see below:

I see what you're saying now.  The new backup box will be separated by a firewall between it and Unity Connection. COBRAS sets up an ODBC connection to the CUC database via the DB Proxy server on port 20532.  You can get further info here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS.htm#_Toc258831590

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Carlo,

Here's actually what you would need to know:

COBRAS Export will still need to be installed on the Unity server.  What you will want to do is to backup to an off-box location (i.e., another server).  So, when you do this you will configure COBRAS to back-up your server to a shared folder location on the other server - you should use the full UNC path for the shared folder.

On the firewall side, you'll need to open up the Windows File and Print Sharing ports (e.g., SMB ports).  These are standard ports - nothing to do with COBRAS itself.

Hailey

UC7 is on a lynx box. The COBRAS software runs on the windows box. How do you map a drive to the lynx box?

Ah, my bad - I overlooked the UC which you intended to mean Unity Connection.  I had Unity stuck in my head for some reason.  So, forgive that transgression and see below:

I see what you're saying now.  The new backup box will be separated by a firewall between it and Unity Connection. COBRAS sets up an ODBC connection to the CUC database via the DB Proxy server on port 20532.  You can get further info here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS.htm#_Toc258831590

Hailey

That's what I needed. Only one port? I'm working on CER and other CUOM and there are pages of port on thoese.

Thanks for the help.

Carlo

Well, Carlo - here is an important question for you. You only referenced COBRAS in your post. There is also DRS (Disaster Recovery System) which is the primary backup solution (usually) for CUC. Are you doing all of your backups with COBRAS or are you using DRS as well?

Hailey

We do the nightly backup with CUC and sftp it to a server for the Data Center to back up that server. That's and easy port (22). I like doing the COBRAS backup so I can restore someone's lost messages.

When I get this done, My next project is to get IMAP connection from the Internet. I'm going to have fun getting that one past security.(LOL)

Carlo

Ok, cool. I was going to say that I can give you a list of all the CUC ports - but it didn’t sound like you needed that. I'd test the backup with COBRAS and if you have issues with message backup, you may need to open up SMTP (probably not desirable) but you'll just have to test and see. I know that during an IMPORT with COBRAS, message import is straight SMTP but that involves actually putting messages into a user's mailbox. Export is just pulling the messages to a backup database.

Hailey

If you have a document that shows the ports, that would be great.

All here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6509/products_tech_note09186a0080a9b34b.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: