Views
Helpful
Replies

Collaboration homelab question

Brandon_Snopek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

New to the community here and have a question.  I have a route and switch home lab that I want to start adding some collaboration function to for studying the ccna collaboration exam.  I currently have it up and running and working as my home connection to the internet. The design  consists of

cable modem -> isr 2911 -> asa 5510 -> 2921 -> c3750.

I have pvdm3-64 cards in the 2921 router but nothing in the 2911 and no uc license on either router.  My question is do I need to have pvdm cards in both routers and UC licenses for each router to be able to use this setup to build a collaboration home lab or do I just need the UC license for the 2921 which already has the pvdm3-64 installed in it.  Also if I do need the uc license in both routers is there any other basic licensing I will need to access the voice commands and would I need an additional pvdm for the other router.

Thanks,

Brandon

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That depends on what you want to do.

PVDMs are used for TDM termination and/or conferencing/transcoding.

Same for the UC license, if you want a single CME then you need it only in one ISR, if you want two CMEs and to place calls from one to the other, then you need both licensed.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for the reply. I was only going to do once location but I also wanted to play around with setting up a sip trunk on the device as well. Other than that it will be a single location and if I do any multiple location tests I can try and integrate gns3 into my lab as I've seen people do.  Would this still require just one router, one pvdm and one copy of cucm? Or would I need other software?