Walkthrough Wednesdays
Views
Helpful
Replies
milton.j.almeida
Beginner

Connecting FXO to FXO Interface

Hy guys,

I would like to know if there is any issue connecting two FXO interfaces in different Cisco routers 2611back to back, according the diagram below.

Cisco 2611 FXO interface< -------------->FXO interface Cisco 2611

My best guess is if the FXO works with a PBX maybe it can work well direct connected to another FXO, please correct me if I am wrong.

My concerning is around the compability of this type of connection.

Thanks a lot.

Regards

Milton

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dgahm
Collaborator

No this would not work. A FXO is expecting to see ring voltage on an incoming call, and would never output ring. To place a call the FXO places a loop or ground on the line, which the other FXO would never detect. A good way to think about this is that a router FXS port acts like a PBX driving a phone, and a router FXO port acts like a phone connected to a PBX.

You could connect a FXO to an FXS, or better yet a 4wire E&M to another 4wire E&M.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dgahm
Collaborator

No this would not work. A FXO is expecting to see ring voltage on an incoming call, and would never output ring. To place a call the FXO places a loop or ground on the line, which the other FXO would never detect. A good way to think about this is that a router FXS port acts like a PBX driving a phone, and a router FXO port acts like a phone connected to a PBX.

You could connect a FXO to an FXS, or better yet a 4wire E&M to another 4wire E&M.

View solution in original post

Content for Community-Ad

Spotlight Awards 2021