cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Content Retrieval

paul.schrapel
Level 1
Level 1

I have inherited a Cisco Digital Media Manager 5.0 Server and 10 DMP's at one of our sites.

The Content Manager would like me to retrieve all the content onto a USB Drive. It is curently stored on the DMM.

Does anyone know of a way to do this as a bulk operation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.              

3 Replies 3

Marco Cassini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

As far as I know, in 5.0 there is not an official procedure to pull out content (images, videos, etc.) stored on the DMM intenal disk itself.

More recent versions (5.2.3+) have added the option to backup Content + Config of the DMM and restore it on another DMM. So on that versions, you could use the backup option to local USB drive or FTP server and you would be able to get the internal content there (inside a "signage" folder).

The only thing I can think of would be for you to open a Service Request with Cisco TAC and get the TAC engineer copy internal content from DMM root access to an external FTP server.

Regards,

Marco

Thanks Marco,

I feared as much. Seems strange to buy a piece of hardware and not be given root access. It's like buying a car, and not being given keys to the bonnet..

My options are therefore limited as the support on this device has been lapsed, and hence I cannot log a TAC case. I don't much like the option of a major upgrade, as I will need to purchase it no doubt.

We have found a way to pull them out, one by one. That should be a fun job for someone.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Understood, it is a pity if you can't get TAC help due contract/product expiration. If you still have a valid contract, you can still try to open a Service Request and mention that you are not looking for support on 5.0 DMS (which is indeed End Of Support) but just for help retrieving the content from the box. I am not sure if this would pass entitlement but if it does, TAC would be able to help.

I understand your concern with not having root access directly, from my understanding this is hidden to customers for the pontential of disruptive activities for the softward itself that could be done from there.

Cheers,

Marco