Views
Helpful
Replies

Creative ways for users to get voicemails from shared boxes

JasunKAR
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

We have a challenge we are looking to solve.  We have unity shared mailboxes in our org.  These mailboxes are not tied to a user.  We send an SMTP notification to a distro list that goes to 2-5 people and they have to go manually dial into unity, enter the extension, then PIN to check the messages.  

We are looking for what other people might be doing to make this easier for people.  

We are already looking at speechview as a possible solution.  Also we know we can include the WAV file with email using HTML but my argument was this is not like o365 integration and the messages will pile up eventually causing the mailbox to cease taking messages.  So I'm trying to avoid HTML as a delivery method.  That and with HTML it's hard for others in the group to know if the VM was responded to already and thus might cause people to call someone 2-3 times on the same subject.  

We have PCA as an option as well but we use SSO integration so its wonky to get people to sign in with another account as the SSO keeps logging them in as their personal mailbox.  Unless there's some kind of bypass link like there are for the admin pages. 

Thanks for taking the time to review!  Love to see some creative ways others might be managing this.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If the call goes to a call handler you can create a VM distro list in Unity Connection for delivery of the VM left for the call handler and select the "Dispatch Delivery" option. This option puts a copy of the VM into all of the voicemail boxes in the distro (and turns the MWI light on for all), but once one member of the group listens to the message the VM is withdrawn from the other voicemail boxes on the distro list (and the MWI light goes out for any boxes that are now empty). The uses would still have to dial into Unity Connection (unless you have Unified Messaging enabled) to retrieve the VM, but does make it so only one person has to respond to the message.

Unity Connection System Administration Guide: Dispatch Messages 

Another benefit: Because the call goes to a Call Handler and not directly to a VM box you don't need an account or a license for it.

Maren

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

If the call goes to a call handler you can create a VM distro list in Unity Connection for delivery of the VM left for the call handler and select the "Dispatch Delivery" option. This option puts a copy of the VM into all of the voicemail boxes in the distro (and turns the MWI light on for all), but once one member of the group listens to the message the VM is withdrawn from the other voicemail boxes on the distro list (and the MWI light goes out for any boxes that are now empty). The uses would still have to dial into Unity Connection (unless you have Unified Messaging enabled) to retrieve the VM, but does make it so only one person has to respond to the message.

Unity Connection System Administration Guide: Dispatch Messages 

Another benefit: Because the call goes to a Call Handler and not directly to a VM box you don't need an account or a license for it.

Maren

Howdy!  

Yes we do have o365 integration so this would allow them to use email to manage this.  

I like this!  I will investigate and see if it works for us!  I appreciate your time. 

Worked pretty well minus the unified messaging piece.  We never got the email but that's fine.  These groups use their hardphones a lot anyways and the current method we have for them is not all that great.  So they would love this method even if they can't use email to manage.  

Thanks Maren Mahoney!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: