Views
Helpful
Replies

CRS Upgrade 3.5(2) to 4.0(4) Failure

cjhunt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've been trying to upgrade my customer's IPCC Express system to 4.0(4) as I see that the existing 3.5(2) is not shown as compatible with CM 4.2.

Publisher CM was originally 4.0 with co-resident CRS 3.5(2) running on an older OS.

Publisher CM was upgraded to current OS and SR.

Publisher CM system was upgrade to 4.2(1) sr1b.

I sourced the CRS 4.0(4) disks and initiated the upgrade procedure. This seemed to work up to a stage where the installer upgrade tool asks for a manual BARS backup. I understand that once the BARS backup of the platform concludes successfully the upgrade tool should see this and continue - prompting you to click on OK to proceed. However I do not get the OK button and even once BRAS completes OK I can only close th upgrade tool window, there is nothing else I can click. This results in the installer reporting that the pre-backup/restore operation was not completed and that the installation will now abort.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there anything I can do?

I do think this might be Java-related. In the CM the JRE installed is 1.4.2, however the CRS system appears to try to use JRE 1.3.1 (which is installed in the JTAPI client sub-directory).

Any ideas whether this is the right way to go? My customer is still on the original 4.0 for now, but has frozen all changes hoping that we can nail this issue.

Thanks,

Chris

6 Replies 6

bvonarx
Level 1
Level 1

Chris, we have seen this problem before. You have to have the same version of JRE on both CM and IPCCx.

Load the JRE 1.4.2 from the CM c:\Utils directory onto the IPCC server and you will at least get beyond that point.

Hi,

Sorry for no response, my email notifications are screwed...

The IPCX is co-resident on the publisher CM 4.0. Are you saying I should install the JRE 1.4.2 from the utils directory on the server?

Thanks,

Chris

Indeed this turned out to be a Java issue.

We tried to force the matter by installibng the latest JRE on the server. This made not much difference initially, and we went to TAC.

The TAC engineer asked us to put in the relevant path to JAva.exe in the system %path% variable and then to ensure that path also featured the java library directory in the root of the upgrade media.

This allowed us to work the upgrade tool, and we could see the button to click when BARS completed.

However, after following the upgrade procedure to the letter, the upgrade worked, but failed to retain the data from the 3.5 system.

At that point I decided to uninstall CRS 3.5 and remove all relevant directories from the server, then installed 4.0(4) successfully. All I had to do was upload scripts, convert using the CRS 4 editor and upload prompts etc.

We are now ready to go live.

My advice is to do the uninstall and install 4.0 on as clean as possible a platform you can.

/Chris

Is it possible to backup 3.5(3) and restore on 4.0(4) though????

I've never tried - you could check the compatibility matrices to see what upgrade paths are "supported". I think this should be supported within the context of an upgrade, provided that the upgrade uses Cisco's installer.

In my view the easiest approach is to re-install.

hth

/Chris

But you lose all the Historical report.....

I am having some issue with 3.5(3) upgrade to 4.0(4). When the BARS asked me to fix the System DSN on the IPCC server, I went to the server and find that all the "System DSN" originally in 3.5(3) wasn't there, there were 10 of them in 3.5(3). Does BARS mean "User DSN"? Do I have to configure all 10 System DSN that were in 3.5(3)???

BTW, is there a way to see how the DSN was configured in 3.5(3)???

Thanks