Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 10.5 + IP Phone 7940 - TFTP File Not Found

alex_lin0
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have searched for topic such as the one I have, but I am still not clear on how to troubleshoot this issue, so I am hoping to get some help on this problem.

I recently installed Cisco UCM 10.5 demo license, but I have trouble registering two of my old IP Phone 7940 which used to work with Cisco UCM 7.

I have made sure service option 150 is turned on in DHCP

I have performed factory reset on the IP Phone

I have enabled auto-registration on CUCM (only have one)

but the error persists.

In Cisco UCM Administration --> Device --> Device Settings --> Device Defaults, I see the Load Information for 7940 SCCP is P0030801SR02, and when I type tftp -i <mycscumip> GET P0030801SR02.bin, I was able to download the file successfully.

The last thing I have not tried to do was to download / place a older version of 7940 firmware to the TFTP. 

My questions:

1. I am using a demo license version of CUCM, and the usage report is currently all 0's. I was told that even without any licenses, I should still be able to register some phones. Did I get the wrong information?

2. How do I know which firmware version my phone is trying to download? it does not show the firmware it is trying to download on the phone display

3. Do I have the problem of 7940 not able to upgrade to the firmware Cisco UCM 10.5 has?

4. I can use tftp PUT command to upload the firmware file to TFTP, but how can I delete that file afterwards?

Regards,

Alex

8 Replies 8

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1 You can anything you want, and register as many devices as you like before the 60 days run out.

2 Look at either the device config, or the device defaults

3 Yes, that might be the case, once you find out what version CUCM is trying to install, look at the RNs for it, and it will tell if you can upgrade directly, or a middle step is required.

4 You should be using OS admin to upload the files, install the COP files, or delete the files.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

>> 2 Look at either the device config, or the device defaults

Are you referring to Cisco UCM Administration --> Device --> Device Settings --> Device Defaults? 

The Load Information for 7940 SCCP is P0030801SR02, but how do I know which version the phone is requesting? or do the phones only request what the CUCM has?

I thought the phone is looking for a specific file (instead of just letting CUCM install), so it complains "File Not Found"

Also, I installed a Cisco IP Communicator 8.6 and point it to register with the 10.5 CUCM, and it fails to register as well. (it's a new system, and nothing is registered now). Does it sound like something is wrong with my CUCM's registration process?

>> 3 Yes, that might be the case, once you find out what version CUCM is trying to install, look at the RNs for it, and it will tell if you can upgrade directly, or a middle step is required.

What's RNs?...

Regards,

Alex

You configure what load the phone will have, either at device level, or using the device defaults.

If you want to see what the phone is doing, you'd need to look at the logs in the device.

RN = Release Notes

Have you started all the necessary services for registration???

HTH

java

Hi Jamie,

I have DHCP (150 is set for TFTP) and DNS setup already. I also turned on TFTP on the CUCM. The last thing I did was to enable auto-registration. Those are the only things I did in an attempt to register the phones. Am I missing anything other services?

Regards,

Alex

Yes, the CUCM service is the actual service that handles registration of devices.

HTH

java

HI Jamie,

After turning on CUCM service, my Cisco IP Communicator and one of my 7960 phones registered successfully. However, one of my 7960 still shows TFTP File Not Found as well as both of my 7940.

I am thinking the problem has to be with the firmware. I downloaded a file named, cmterm-7940-7960-sccp.8-1-2SR2.cop.sgn. It is the latest firmware released for 7940 and 7960 in 2011. The installed name for this file is P0030801SR02 which is already set as the Device Defaults for phone 7940, so this means CUCM 10.5 already has the latest firmware for 7940.

Does this mean I have to downgrade the firmware on CUCM? if so, how do I know which firmware to downgrade to?

Regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

1st try to remove itl/ctl files from non-working phones and see if it works, if this doesn't work then do factory reset these phone and check.

Suresh

Hi all,

I am still unable to get over the hurdle of "TFTP file not found".

I have tried 8.0.(10), 8.0.(5), 8.0.(1), and 7.0.(2) of firmware from this page: https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=268437897&release=8.1(2)_SR2&atcFlag=N&dwldImageGuid=39D6FE2CB975C59EA1A1C08A9ADBC07FF4F7C21F&softwareid=282074289&dwnld=true

and I am still having the same problem.

Here is what I did to use those files.

1. download the zip files for each version

2. upload all the files in the zip files to the Cisco TFTP server

3. go to Device Defaults Configuration to change the Load Information to the version I want to use

4. Restart TFTP

5. Factory reset IP Phone 7960

Am I doing this correctly? If so, what can I do further to get these phones to work with Cisco UCM 10.5? I have one 7960 working, but I would like to get the other 7960 to work as well as two 7940.

Is there a log file in the UCM where I can check on the registration process? I want to see if the phone is attempting to use the firmware I specified in the Device Default configuration.

Regards,

Alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: