Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Migration 6.1(2) to 9.1(1)

antonio_khoury
Level 1
Level 1

Dears'

One of my client is requesting a upgrade for his existing voice infrastructure, he needs to keep the same hardware but need to change the version from 6.1(2) to 9.1(1), the existing paltform is MCS 7816 H3. Upone the documentation this is feasible by adding memory and harddisk and it will not be direct it should scale from 6.1(2) to 8.0(2) and then from 8.0(2) to 9.1(1).

Is this the correct path to do this upgrade?

Shall i buy the upgrade package for 9.1(1) only?

Regards;

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Antonio

Yes, this is a valid upgrade path. You will need to upgrade to an 8.x release first and then upgrade again to 9.x. You don't need 8.x licenses.

Please note that this is a major upgrade process and will take several hours during which time your server will be unavailable. You will also need new CUCM licenses to activate the server at version 9.x - these should be provided with the 9.x upgrade part codes.

HTH.

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Antonio

Yes, this is a valid upgrade path. You will need to upgrade to an 8.x release first and then upgrade again to 9.x. You don't need 8.x licenses.

Please note that this is a major upgrade process and will take several hours during which time your server will be unavailable. You will also need new CUCM licenses to activate the server at version 9.x - these should be provided with the 9.x upgrade part codes.

HTH.

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

espereir
Level 5
Level 5

Not really, you can do a direct upgrade to CUCM 9.1.1 from some 6.X versions and it will be less complicated than upgrading to 8.X and then to 9.X, below is an snapshot of the Compatibility matrix and the link (check table 4):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr1.pdf

My suggestion is:

1. Obtain the upgrade license and media.
  2. Perform a DMA backup of the whole cluster.
  3. Upgrade CUCM 6.1(2) to 6.1(5) or 6.1(5)SU3
  4. Perform another DMA backup of the cluster.
  5. Upgrade to CUCM 9.1(1)

Please note that there is a bug that affects upgrades from 6.X and 7.X, the workaroud is to reboot the cluster prior the upgrade, this is the DDTS CSCts34871

HTH

espereir

It seems you can upgrade from a 6.1.4 version direct to 9.1. Could you confirm that?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr1.pdf

Export Unrestricted Supported Cisco Unified Co

mmunications Manager Upgr

ades for Release 9.1(2)

Cisco Unified

Communications Manager       9.1(2)

1.    You must install COP File ciscocm.allow

_upgrades_to_unrestricted.cop.s

gn before you upgrade from any of the 6.1(x), 7.1(3x),

or 8.0(3x) releases listed in this colu

mn to this export unrestricted release.

2.    You must install COP File ciscocm.refresh

_upgrade_v1.1.cop.sgn before you upgrade to

any 8.6(x) or higher release from any

8.5(x) or earlier release.

System Version

9.1.2-10000-28

Release Status

Active

Release Date

July 30 2013

Standard Support                         Direct upgrade:

9.1(1a), 9.1(1), 9.0(1), 8.6(2a)SU3, 8.

6(2a)SU2, 8.6(2a)SU1, 8.6(2a), 8.6(2),

8.6(1a), 8.6(1), 8.5(1),

8.5(1)SU4, 8.5(1)SU3, 8.5(1)SU2, 8.5(1)SU1,

8.0(3a)SU3, 8.0(3a)SU2, 8.0(3a)SU1, 8.

0(3a), 8.0(3), 8.0(2c)SU1, 8.0(2c),

8.0(2b), 8.0(2a), 8.0(2), 8.0(1), 7.1(5b)SU6(restricted), 7.1(5b)SU5(restricted)

7.1(5b)SU4(restricted)

7.1(5b)SU3(restricted),

7.1(5b)SU2(restricted),

7.1(5b)(restricted), 7.1(5a)(restri

cted), 7.1(5)SU1a(restricted),

7.1(5)SU1(restricted), 7.1(5)(restricted

), 7.1(3b)SU2, 7.1(3b)SU1, 7.1(3b),

7.1(3a)SU1a, 7.1(3a)SU1, 7.1(3a), 7.1(

3), 6.1(5)SU3, 6.1(5)SU2, 6.1(5)SU1,

6.1(5), 6.1(4a)SU2, 6.1(4a), 6.1(4)SU1, 6.1(4)

Direct upgrade using DMA:

none

Note

Refer to the

Notes about Engineering Specials (ESs), Service Updates (SUs), and Windows Service

Release (SR) Upgrades

concerning upgrades from ESs.

HTH, please rate all useful posts and right answers.

Yes, it's possible, given your HW supports it, or you're doing a jump upgrade

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

The Hardware Support it not! I know this already and we don't want touch the production system fur upgrade szenario.

The Idee is,

do a Backup at Customer site in version 6.1

install the 6.1 in a VMware and restore Customer Backup 6.1

In Vmware CUC 6.1 Upgrade to 9.1 using cop ( I must read how it works I don´t know this at the moment)

make a backup in version 9.1 at the 6.1 CUCM in Vmware

install 9.1 in Vmware at Customer site and restore the backup in 9.1 version

Should this work?

How I get out the customer data at the 6.1 CUCM Vmware in version 9.1? With install copfile from 9.1 and after make a backup?

CSC says you're a partner, so you should be able to review all such info here, what you're planning to do, is the jump upgrade procedure.

https://communities.cisco.com/community/partner/collaboration/migration?view=overview

HTH

java

HTH

java

This Documentation not represent how it works technical based. Only shows what is possible and not possible, but not "how" it works.

Not following you, the documentation has all the necessary steps to do the migration.

Elaborate.

HTH

java

HTH

java

In this docu

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-35653

Here is a extract:

-------------------------------------------

The  jump upgrade procedure supports the installation of these releases on  UCS hardware for migration purposes only. Cisco does not support the  production installation of these releases on UCS hardware or on any  virtualized hardware.

------------------------------------------

you could "assume" if is possible to install 6.1 in Vmware and how OVA you should use or you should create the Vmware by self, than I need the info how many processor RAM Harddisk etc.....and how I perform the whole upgrade process.

At this place I expect a red line how I go ahead from A - Z to perform the upgrade!

You know what I mean?

Could you point me to the right docu?

Download the attachment from that link...

HTH

java

HTH

java

Thanks. I had this docu already.

First: This link from the attached docu for example is only for 9.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/unified/communications/system/versions/IPTMtrix.html

But I Follow this link

Second, I know that the Phones 7910 are supported in 6.0 and 6.1, but it is on in the Matrix. Also the 7940 and 7960 annd additional this phones are still in with a firmeware in 9.1

So what is right, 7910,7940 and 7960 are still supported in 9.1 or not?

etc.......

This go through the whole docu nothing is complete.

Same info applies for 9.1

You can configure them as they're still available under the drop down, but they're out of support, meaning, if you run into any issues with those phones, no new FW or effort to troubleshoot the phones themselves will be done by Cisco.

If you think the document is not complete, provide that feedback to the D29 team, I've gone thru the doc and I don't think that.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Hi Java, thanks to help me. I believe, all Docus you need, are available. But where it is in the Docu jungle? There is no structer to make it the technican easy to grab "fast" the right docu.

The PDF you Refer me, point me not all the time to the "right" Docu they needed for the "whole" Upgrade Process. NOt only the Upgrade Proess byself, I mean also the "whole" enviroment they also should be to consider.

Docus are available at Cisco Wiki, Community and Support and and and..........

Customer would like to upgrade from 6.1 MCS to 9.1 in there own vCenter. The main Questions are:

1. Is the customer own vCenter (Hardware and VMware, which Version etc....) supported by Cisco? May be at Wiki, but where?

2. Which I/O rate at least is supported for Harddisk, RAM, Speed CPU etc....etc.... the at least Specs for the Components? Also at Wiki but where?

3. How many CPU´s, RAM and Harddisk should be available for CUCM, CUC, CUPS etc.......

4. The available VoiceGateways are still suported?

5. The Phones are still Supported?

6. How works the upgrade process at the Server (Install COP), which faults could appears during upgrade?

etc.....

Basically I know exactly what essential needs to perform a upgrade, but for this upgrade we need the specs behind. I hope it is a little bit coherent. This Upgrade Documentation not point us to the "essential" needed Topics. It is cursorily.

You could point me to this littlebit docu 1-6?

Cheers Armin

Java, hello!

Do you know if there is an update for the compatibility document?

I have a customer right now that would like to upgrade CUCM from 7.1 to 9.1 but they have 7940 phones.

The compatibility matrix tool does not even mention 7940 phones, so, I'm unable to confirm those phones will be supported on version 9.1.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: