cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Demo Version of Unity 3.0

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I work for a Cisco partner, and we are having a joint venture demo Friday Sept. 21. I have installed in a LAB environment Unity 3.0 with CallManager 3.1. My messaging system is Exchange 2000. All seems to be working fine thus far; however, I have a licensing issue due to the demo version only allowing 5 voicemail users. From the install I have the following canned Unity Voicemail accounts: Example Administrator, Example Subscriber, Unity installer account, and a voicemail box tied to the account I used to install Unity. This leaves me only one mailbox for demo purposes. Can I safely delete any of the canned Unity accounts? If not, I have several Unity parallel port system keys here with prior versions of Unity tied to them; is there anyway I can get one of these upgraded with more Unity voicemail licenses?<br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

there are 3 accounts counted as subscribers created by default... Example Administrator, Unity Instller and Example Subscriber.

Example subscriber can be removed with no problems. The Unity Installer account cannot be removed and the Example Administrator account can be removed but only after taking several steps to make sure you don't leave your system in a bad state. I'd highly reccomend leaving it alone. If you really want to remove it, the administration guide has instructions on how to do that... you need to make sure another account is assigned to be the default owner/recipient for the default call handlers and subscriber templates, as a member of the default distribution lists, recipient for the default interview handler and a few other odds and ends.

If you feel you just can't get by doing a demo with 3 additional accounts (or possibly 4 if you want to remove Example Administrator) beyond those two you need to order a full system. There is no other demo option available that offers more users or the like. It's either the limits imposed without the key or a full system purchased through normal means that comes with a key programmed with the purchased limits. The abuse was so rampant and far spread during the 2.x demo limits of 100 users that it was a fight just to get ANY demo capaility into 3.0 at all... 5 total subscribers is annoying I know but frankly we're lucky to have even that.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Jeff, as always thank you for your reply and information. I think getting by with three accounts will be sufficient for our demo purposes. If not, I will look into the upgrade pricing for the system key(s) I have. The problem I have with the upgrade is I'm hearing that upgrades aren't available until the 28th and our demo is the 21st, but I'll check with my other contacts and see what my options are in that area. Thanks again.

The upgrades from Unity 2.4.6 to Unity 3.0 are not available. The upgrades of ports and subscribers for a Unity 3.0 system are definetely available.

Anil Verma
Cisco Systems
anilve@cisco.com