cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Location Tracking in CUCM 12.5 with Meraki AP

Bill
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to get Call Manager Device Location Tracking working with a Meraki AP.
CUCM Version 12.5.1.18100-14
Meraki MR42 version 29.5.1

The Wireless Controller Synchronization Service is running.
I have added the BSSID info using BAT.

One thing I notice is that CUCM has changed the BSSIDs that I imported.
I think this is normal but the admin guide is a little unclear.

I have two BSSID’s (one SSID).
The 2.5 GHz BSSID starts with AC and ends with AB
The 5 GHz BSSID starts with AE and ends with AB
CUCM has changed both BSSIDs to end with A0.

The Admin Guide mentions this:
For Meraki Access Points, the Unified Communications Manager updates the BSSID in the Database after normalizing it to its base BSSID.
For Non-Meraki Access Points, the Unified CM updates the BSSID in the database by masking the last byte with 0.

The guide gives a link to Meraki for calculating the BSSIDs, but Meraki makes no mention of a base BSSID.
It is not clear to me if ‘normalizing’ the Meraki AP also means to set the last byte to zero.
But that is what it is doing.

I have a Jabber client (ver 14.1.4.57561) associated to the AP.
But in the CUCM Location Tracking Associated Device Count shows zero devices.

Has anyone got this working?
Wondering what I might be missing.
Or what logs to look at.

I tried using the IP of the access point too, and no luck with that either.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The Wireless Controller Synchronization Service won’t do you any good here and can be deactivated. It’s only used with on-prem WLCs to pull the AP & BSSID inventory via SNMP.

I agree that documentation is poorly worded - but zeroing out the last byte is correct for Meraki; additional SSIDs on the same radio increment that byte.

CUCM doesn’t do anything with the location details though. Is that BSSID mapped to an ERL in CER? Also, have you set the relevant Jabber-config.xml parameters? The client won’t send the location telemetry until them.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The Wireless Controller Synchronization Service won’t do you any good here and can be deactivated. It’s only used with on-prem WLCs to pull the AP & BSSID inventory via SNMP.

I agree that documentation is poorly worded - but zeroing out the last byte is correct for Meraki; additional SSIDs on the same radio increment that byte.

CUCM doesn’t do anything with the location details though. Is that BSSID mapped to an ERL in CER? Also, have you set the relevant Jabber-config.xml parameters? The client won’t send the location telemetry until them.

Thank you Jonathan.

That was it - I did not have the Jabber xml parameter set.

And the info was right there in the admin guide - I missed that.

I did notice that the WLC Sync service is not needed.
The relevant log said something to the effect 'No WLC, nothing to do here'.
Thanks again - I appreciate it.
It is now working as expected.