Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between 7912G and 7912G-A

ayram23
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me the difference between 7912G and 7912G-A IP Phone? What do i need to do if i want to upgrade my IP Phone from 7912G to 7912G-A ?

Regards,

R. Rajaraman

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Q. What are the main differences between the new version of the Cisco IP Phone 7912G and the existing Cisco IP Phone 7912G?

A. The new Cisco IP Phone 7912G (part number CP-7912G-A) is a hardware-updated version of the existing basic set that enhances the performance of the internal Ethernet switch when networks are not designed in accordance with best practices as outlined in the Cisco Solution Reference Network Design (SRND) guides. As with any Cisco IP phone deployment, the Cisco design guidelines should be followed to ensure successful network deployment.

Q. Will end users notice any changes with the new version of the Cisco IP Phone 7912G?

A. No. There is no immediate visible indication of the change on the phone itself (bezel). The compliance label on the back indicates "CP-7912G-A," and under Settings/Model Information (accessed via the Menu button), you can view the model number.

Q. What software version is required?

A. A new software version is required for this new Cisco IP Phone 7912G. This software is also compatible with the existing phone set:

• Skinny Client Control Protocol (SCCP): Version 6.1 and above

• Session Initiation Protocol (SIP): Version 1.3 and above

These will be posted to Cisco.com upon orderability of the new Cisco IP Phone 7912G.

Note: No changes have been made to the underlying application.

Q. Should I stop selling the current Cisco IP Phone 7912G?

A. For new orders, start ordering the new Cisco IP Phone 7912G (part number CP-7912G-A) because it is an improved hardware platform.

Q. What should I do if customers have ordered but not received the Cisco IP Phone 7912G, and now want to change their order to the new platform?

A. Cisco does not recommend disrupting existing orders. Changes to existing orders are the responsibility of the account team and supporting customer service group.

Q. What should I do if a customer has an existing Cisco IP Phone 7912G deployed but wants to upgrade to the new platform?

A. There are no upgrade programs available at this time.

Q. What minimum Cisco CallManager release is required for the new version of the Cisco IP Phone 7912G?

A. The new version of the phone requires a minimum release of Cisco CallManager 3.3(2); this is the same minimum release supported by the existing Cisco IP Phone 7912G. As always, Cisco recommends moving to the most recent version release; for example, Cisco CallManager 3.3.(5) or later.

Note: The same device packs used to create the Cisco IP Phone 7912G device type will work for the new hardware platform version.

Q. What minimum Cisco CallManager Express release is required for the new version of the Cisco IP Phone 7912G?

A. The new version of the phone requires a minimum release of Cisco CallManager 3.2 (IOS version 12.3.11T); this is the same minimum release supported by the existing Cisco IP Phone 7912G. 12.3.11T is the current recommended release for Cisco CallManager Express.

Q. Does the new version of the Cisco IP Phone 7912G identify itself differently to Cisco CallManager (or Cisco CallManager Express)?

A. No, It is still identified as a Cisco IP Phone 7912.

AVAILABILITY AND ORDERING

Q. When can I order the new version of the Cisco IP Phone 7912G?

A. You can order the new version (part number CP-7912G-A) in May 2005.

Q. What is the list price?

A. It is the same as that of the existing Cisco IP Phone 7912G: $245. Check http://www.cisco.com for availability and pricing.

Q. Is a Station User license required?

A. Yes. The same $80 Station User license is required. Customers can select a Cisco CallManager User license, a Cisco CallManager Express license, or a license that covers the SIP protocol. Both licenses are $80.

Q. Does the new part number require different SCCP or SIP user licenses?

A. No. The user licenses are the same as for the current Cisco IP Phone 7912G: part number SW-CCM-UL-7912 (for Cisco CallManager), SW-CCME-UL-7912 (for CallManager Express), and SW-SMH-UL-7912 (for SIP).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marinaibm
Level 4
Level 4

Q. What are the main differences between the new version of the Cisco IP Phone 7912G and the existing Cisco IP Phone 7912G?

A. The new Cisco IP Phone 7912G (part number CP-7912G-A) is a hardware-updated version of the existing basic set that enhances the performance of the internal Ethernet switch when networks are not designed in accordance with best practices as outlined in the Cisco Solution Reference Network Design (SRND) guides. As with any Cisco IP phone deployment, the Cisco design guidelines should be followed to ensure successful network deployment.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item0900aecd802aece5.shtml

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I dont have a CCO login with me. Can you please forward the document to my mail id ayram23@gmail.com

Will i be able to upgrade my phone from 7912G to 7912G-A ?

Thanks and Regards,

R. Rajaraman.

Q. Will end users notice any changes with the new version of the Cisco IP Phone 7912G?

A. No. There is no immediate visible indication of the change on the phone itself (bezel). The compliance label on the back indicates "CP-7912G-A," and under Settings/Model Information (accessed via the Menu button), you can view the model number.

Q. What software version is required?

A. A new software version is required for this new Cisco IP Phone 7912G. This software is also compatible with the existing phone set:

• Skinny Client Control Protocol (SCCP): Version 6.1 and above

• Session Initiation Protocol (SIP): Version 1.3 and above

These will be posted to Cisco.com upon orderability of the new Cisco IP Phone 7912G.

Note: No changes have been made to the underlying application.

Q. Should I stop selling the current Cisco IP Phone 7912G?

A. For new orders, start ordering the new Cisco IP Phone 7912G (part number CP-7912G-A) because it is an improved hardware platform.

Q. What should I do if customers have ordered but not received the Cisco IP Phone 7912G, and now want to change their order to the new platform?

A. Cisco does not recommend disrupting existing orders. Changes to existing orders are the responsibility of the account team and supporting customer service group.

Q. What should I do if a customer has an existing Cisco IP Phone 7912G deployed but wants to upgrade to the new platform?

A. There are no upgrade programs available at this time.

Q. What minimum Cisco CallManager release is required for the new version of the Cisco IP Phone 7912G?

A. The new version of the phone requires a minimum release of Cisco CallManager 3.3(2); this is the same minimum release supported by the existing Cisco IP Phone 7912G. As always, Cisco recommends moving to the most recent version release; for example, Cisco CallManager 3.3.(5) or later.

Note: The same device packs used to create the Cisco IP Phone 7912G device type will work for the new hardware platform version.

Q. What minimum Cisco CallManager Express release is required for the new version of the Cisco IP Phone 7912G?

A. The new version of the phone requires a minimum release of Cisco CallManager 3.2 (IOS version 12.3.11T); this is the same minimum release supported by the existing Cisco IP Phone 7912G. 12.3.11T is the current recommended release for Cisco CallManager Express.

Q. Does the new version of the Cisco IP Phone 7912G identify itself differently to Cisco CallManager (or Cisco CallManager Express)?

A. No, It is still identified as a Cisco IP Phone 7912.

AVAILABILITY AND ORDERING

Q. When can I order the new version of the Cisco IP Phone 7912G?

A. You can order the new version (part number CP-7912G-A) in May 2005.

Q. What is the list price?

A. It is the same as that of the existing Cisco IP Phone 7912G: $245. Check http://www.cisco.com for availability and pricing.

Q. Is a Station User license required?

A. Yes. The same $80 Station User license is required. Customers can select a Cisco CallManager User license, a Cisco CallManager Express license, or a license that covers the SIP protocol. Both licenses are $80.

Q. Does the new part number require different SCCP or SIP user licenses?

A. No. The user licenses are the same as for the current Cisco IP Phone 7912G: part number SW-CCM-UL-7912 (for Cisco CallManager), SW-CCME-UL-7912 (for CallManager Express), and SW-SMH-UL-7912 (for SIP).