cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Differentiate ring tone for internal/external call

walad
Level 1
Level 1

how to differentiate ring tone for internal call and external call?

rgds,

walad.

4 Replies 4

azam_anwar
Level 2
Level 2

Service > service parameters > CallManager > H323 Location OffNet or MGCP Network Location OffNet - change this value to True (False by default).

I've got an CCM 4.1. Expanded search to advanced as well but couldn't find the option mentioned. Is it possible it's been renamed or replaced?

Floyd,

Those parameters were changed in 4.1 CCM. I don't believe they are going to affect Ring Type but could effect CFNA or CFB settings.

?Use the Call Classification field in the Cisco CallManager Administration Gateway Configuration window to configure H.323 and MGCP gateways with the option for OffNet, OnNet, or Use System Default.

?The default value for H.323 and MCGP gateways specifies OffNet.

?The default value for intercluster trunks (ICT), or trunks other than SIP trunks, specifies OnNet.

?In Cisco CallManager release 4.1, Call Classification replaces the H323 Network Location, MGCP Network Location, and MGCP Network Location OffNet for E1 and T1 service parameters.

?To configure trunks and gateways, the administrator can use the Call Classification clusterwide service parameter and choose the Use System Default option for the individual trunks and gateways.

?By default, the service parameter specifies OffNet.

?You can also configure trunks and gateways individually.

?The system considers FXS and phones to be OnNet; you cannot configure them.

The only way that I know of to achieve what you want is dual-line. Ring settings can be set per line or a default for the phone. You could use a unique inbound Gateway CSS with a 2nd line on the phones just for inbound calling. Then you can specify the ring on the phone to be different for the second line.

There is nothing in 4.1 and below (again to my knowledge) that will allow for distinctive ring per call. You should double-check the 4.2 and 5.x release notes to make sure there isn't a new feature though.

Please rate any helpful posts

Thanks

Fred

I've got an CCM 4.1. Expanded search to advanced as well but couldn't find the option mentioned. Is it possible it's been renamed or replaced?

I'd have to go look, but all it does (or did) was influence the system-wide default for that type of device. Now that you can set On-net versus Off-net on a per-gateway basis, the globals are less relevant.

To directly answer your question, there's no way to choose a different "audio source" for on-net versus off-net calls, but if you listen carefully, you'll notice that you have a double ring pattern for off-net calls and a single ring pattern for on-net. That is, for calls from the outside to your IP phone, you should hear "ring-ring-pause[repeat]", and for calls from other IP phones you should hear "riiiiiiiing-pause[repeat]". The ring-ring effect might not be present if you've selected an overlong ring tone, as many custom ones are.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: