cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMM 5.3 upgrade process failing

pwwalski1
Level 1
Level 1

We are running the Digital Media Manager version 5.2.3 on a UCS-C210.

I have attempted to upgrade to version 5.3 twice, but each time the process is failing.

I have downloaded the ISO and burned to disk, backed up the system and kicked off the upgrade. It states it completes, informs me that I can eject the disk and reboot the system. However I have discovered I've been having to manually shut the server down and restart it, but it boots up into 5.2.3.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks much.

3 Replies 3

sdhanral
Level 1
Level 1

Paul,

In order to avoid issue with corrupt download - I'd check the MD5 checksum of the file :

It should match "9d5d035d3c8423e5ae63b5472702dcde"

Secondly, I'd try a remote upgrade, Host the ISO on a HTTP or FTP server and trigger a remote upgrade. The remote upgrade process checks the MD5 and will not continue the upgrade if the MD5 checksum fails to match.

If remote upgrade is not an option, I'd recommend burning the DVD on a brand new DVD-R not DVD-RW at the "lowest" burn speed possible.

Thanks,

Sagar Dhanrale

Paul,

I assume that you were connected to CIMC, KVM or Physical Monitor/Keyboard when the remote upgrade was triggered. You do have to select few options when the remote upgrade happens, The only thing you avoid in remote upgrade process is - burning the DVD and inserting it in the drive.

I'd recommend that you setup CIMC (SETUP instructions :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10493/products_configuration_example09186a0080b10d66.shtml)

or KVM and open a TAC case, TAC can see where exactly the failure is happening.

I assume that you have already backed up 5.2.3's  CONFIG+CONTENT before starting the upgrade to 5.3. The sysmptoms described in this thread are vey unique and would need deeper investigation.

Also once the device is UP via SSH , Get a syslog out of the device for analysis. The syslog contains dmsupgrade.log which should help TAC determine the root cause.

Worst case scenario, you may have to re-image the system using 5.2.3 FRESH ISO (different than upgrade ISO, this image can be obtained via TAC) , restore the CONTENT and CONFIG (assuming you have the backup of both) and re-trying the upgrade.

Or if this is fairly new setup you can also choose to run 5.3 FRESH ISO (assuming you don't want to retain any content and config)

I'd recommend opening a TAC case to troubleshoot this further.

Thanks,

Sagar Dhanrale

davidwild
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever get this resolved?

I have on server on 5.2.3 and one on 5.3. I wanted to upgrade both to 5.4 but both upgrades failed ie 5.2.3 to 5.3 and 5.3 to 5.4.

The 5.2.3 to 5.3 just accepts the command to upgrade and then reboots back to 5.2.3 again.

5.3 to 5.4 failed and locked up, now i have a sickserver