cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dumb question - what do the line buttons on a 7940/7960 actually represent?

alec.waters
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

What do the line buttons on a 7940/7960 phone actually represent?

Do they represent telephone numbers which may be used to ring this particular phone? So a 7940 might have an extension number of 1234 and a DID number of 01234 991234 assigned to it?

thanks,

alec

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alec,

That is correct. With a shared DN, multiple users can have share 1 number on their sets. Each shared line relates to a single button used on each phone set.

With an overlay, you can map multiple DN's to a single button (on multiple sets, if you'd like).

For a good reference, take a look at this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801f12ab.html#wp2191503

Pat

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

mcnerney
Level 4
Level 4

Yes you are correct, the line buttons can be DN's or optionally speed dials.

gshonting
Level 1
Level 1

The lines are a destination for a phone call. Each line must have a number assigned to it (such as 1234).

The line may be accessible through 1 or more other numbers such as DIDs, translations and forwards. The device (7940/60 phone) does not generally "know" about these other numbers, it only knows the line number (1234)

As an example-

I purchase a PRI from the phone company

-They assign me a block of numbers (lets use 410-555-1200 through 1250)

-I decide to assign the lines on the phones with the last 4 digits of the DID.

-I create a line with the number 1234.

-When someone dials my DID from the "outside world", the number is truncated to 1234 (by me or the phone company) at the gateway and routed to my line.

I could also create a translation (at the gateway or in Call Manager) that changes 1200 to 1234 so that 1234 can receive calls for the "Main Number" of my company.

The phone does not know about the translations, it only knows 1234.

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.

Using CallManager Express, would these inbound translations be handled by the dialplan-pattern command?

Also, could I have more than one phone ring when the "Main Number" is dialled, with each phone still retaining a unique extension number of its own?

thanks a lot,

alec

--

Yes. Inbound DID translations would be handled by dialplan-pattern, or individual dial peers if you want to assign custom calling behavior.

Using overlay DNs you can map multiple phone sets to the same number. Overlay DNs also let you map a series of numbers to one button as well (i.e. 1000 engineering, 2000 quality, 3000 sales) all on one button so that someone can answer it while the attendant/receptionist is out.

For more information, take a look at the CME Resource Site:

http://ciscogroups.anvi.com/cme/index.html

Pat

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure I understand the difference between the following two cases:

---Quote---

Using overlay DNs you can map multiple phone sets to the same number. Overlay DNs also let you map a series of numbers to one button as well (i.e. 1000 engineering, 2000 quality, 3000 sales) all on one button so that someone can answer it while the attendant/receptionist is out.

---Quote---

Do phone sets in the first case have just the one (shared) number, whereas those in the second set have their own extension number plus the shared number?

thanks a lot,

alec

Alec,

That is correct. With a shared DN, multiple users can have share 1 number on their sets. Each shared line relates to a single button used on each phone set.

With an overlay, you can map multiple DN's to a single button (on multiple sets, if you'd like).

For a good reference, take a look at this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801f12ab.html#wp2191503

Pat

Hi Pat,

Many thanks for your replies!

alec

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: