Views
Helpful
Replies

E-tokens vs Tokenless CUCM encryption

Mishkin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

Do you know if there is some pros and cons about using the Tokenless option for enabling the Mixed mode in CUCM (available since 10.0 version)? We are trying to figure out what choice should we take between this option and the traditional hardware secure keys (USB's).

The main difference we have detected, is obviously that the Tokenless option doesn't involve any additional cost, but we're not sure if there could be other implications we haven't seen in the documentation we've read.

Additionally,do you know if we must have domain configured in CUCM in order to enable Mixed mode, regardless the option we choose? 

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mishkin, 

I don't see any loss of functionality with e-tokens compared to USB tokens, infact USB tokens need to be kept safely as the same tokens used to set the cluster to mixed mode will be required later for any changes w.r.t mixed mode, no other usb tokens will work.

I tried setting my lab cucm cluster to mixed mode, this one didn't have any DNS configured, plz see below

admin:show network eth0 detail
Ethernet 0
DHCP : disabled Status : up
IP Address : 10.x.x.x IP Mask : 255.255.255.192
Link Detected: yes Mode : Auto disabled, Full, 10000 Mbits/s
Duplicate IP : no
Queue Length : 1000 MTU : 1500
MAC Address : 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
RX stats:
bytes : 430210 packets : 623 errors : 0
dropped : 0 overrun : 0 mcast : 20
TX stats:
bytes : 62272 packets : 425 errors : 0
dropped : 0 carrier : 0 colsns : 0

DNS
Not configured.
Gateway : 10.x.x.x on Ethernet 0

I was able to set it to mixed mode using the procedure outlined in the following doc without any issues

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/118893-technote-cucm-00.html#anc5

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mishkin, 

I don't see any loss of functionality with e-tokens compared to USB tokens, infact USB tokens need to be kept safely as the same tokens used to set the cluster to mixed mode will be required later for any changes w.r.t mixed mode, no other usb tokens will work.

I tried setting my lab cucm cluster to mixed mode, this one didn't have any DNS configured, plz see below

admin:show network eth0 detail
Ethernet 0
DHCP : disabled Status : up
IP Address : 10.x.x.x IP Mask : 255.255.255.192
Link Detected: yes Mode : Auto disabled, Full, 10000 Mbits/s
Duplicate IP : no
Queue Length : 1000 MTU : 1500
MAC Address : 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
RX stats:
bytes : 430210 packets : 623 errors : 0
dropped : 0 overrun : 0 mcast : 20
TX stats:
bytes : 62272 packets : 425 errors : 0
dropped : 0 carrier : 0 colsns : 0

DNS
Not configured.
Gateway : 10.x.x.x on Ethernet 0

I was able to set it to mixed mode using the procedure outlined in the following doc without any issues

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/118893-technote-cucm-00.html#anc5

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Thanks a lot for your help Manish! The information you gave me is very useful.

Best regards.