cancel
Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
astanislaus
Explorer

E1 Line Simulator Question

I am trying to setup a voice lab in our support centre. I am looking for a 4 x port E1 simulator to simulate a PSTN so that I can connect 4 routers to this simulator and be able to use this simulator as a carrier's network.

Better still if I can use Cisco Routers or Access Servers to achieve the same result. For example I have an old ACcess Server 5200 with two E1 ports that we used to use for Dial-In Remote Access which has now been decommissioned. Can I use this AS5200 for example as a two port E1 simultaor and if I put a 4 port E1 card can I use this a 4 port E1 simulator. This will be ideal for me.

Alphonse Stanislaus

3 REPLIES 3
kbyrd
Explorer

Hi Alphonse, an IOS router makes a great T1/E1 simulator. I believe you need something with voice DSPs - so I'm not sure the old AS5200 will work. A great option would be an old 3640, get two NM-HDVs each with 2 port VWICs. In IOS, set the ports to Network Side.

While studying for my CCIE voice lab, I used a CME as my PSTN simulator. Using translation patterns, I could dial almost anything and ring the IP Phone hanging off of the CME.

Good luck.

Byrd,

What is a CME?

Regards

Alphonse

Hi Alphonse,

CME is a Callmanager Express System. CallManager Express is a solution embedded in Cisco IOS Software that provides call processing for Cisco IP phones.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/index.html

Regards

Mark

Create
Recognize Your Peers
Content for Community-Ad