cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Emergency Responder and Cisco 3850 Switches

gamoore
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running Cisco ER V8.5, and recently installed new Cisco 3850 Switches. All the phones connected to the 3850 switches show a "unlocated" status. I've check the hardware compatibility Matrix for ER V8.5 and the 3850 is not on it.

What are my options for locating these phones in ER and assigning them to an ERL. Manually defining the phones? Is there a patch or update to ER V8.5 that would make a 3850 compatible?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

will.alvord
Level 5
Level 5

I haven't used the 3850's with ER yet so can't speak to that specifically, but generally speaking you have more flexibility using location by subnets vs switches.  Scalability-wise, you can add way more subnets than switches.  There's more going on under the hood if you're locating by switches so the process overhead is greater.

The only downside with using subnets is if you need to get more granular with your locations than your deployed subnets allow (ie a single voice subnet for an entire building but you need to define and assign locations at the floor level).  As long as you've been a little forward thinking on the route/switch side, you'll be fine.

hope that helps,

will

View solution in original post

you need to upgrade to CER 9.0.1 for your 3850s to be compatible

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

will.alvord
Level 5
Level 5

I haven't used the 3850's with ER yet so can't speak to that specifically, but generally speaking you have more flexibility using location by subnets vs switches.  Scalability-wise, you can add way more subnets than switches.  There's more going on under the hood if you're locating by switches so the process overhead is greater.

The only downside with using subnets is if you need to get more granular with your locations than your deployed subnets allow (ie a single voice subnet for an entire building but you need to define and assign locations at the floor level).  As long as you've been a little forward thinking on the route/switch side, you'll be fine.

hope that helps,

will

you need to upgrade to CER 9.0.1 for your 3850s to be compatible

Cristobal, thanks I just read the release notes for CER 9.0.(2) and they concur with your answer....Thanks!

Could you theoretically add all of these manually and they would work? I realize you wouldn't have the switchport tracking, but as a temporary workaround?

Thanks Will, but this customer of mine didnt do a good job subnetting so there is one voice subnet throughout this 2 story building and we would like a little more location grandularity.

Chester Rieman
Level 1
Level 1

Weird, I'm on 9.0.2.10000-1 and still see:

2014-12-02 00:09:23,036 | INFO  | CER_AGGREGATOR | This device is not supported

For my 3850s

Any gotchyas for these?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: