cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enable password recovery through AUX port

jyuffa
Level 1
Level 1

I've got 2500 series router that accessible only through AUX port via direct connection using serial port on my PC. If I put the same cable to CONSOLE port I get nothing. I suspect that ACL was applied to CONSOLE port. Anyway, I lost enable password, so I can't access config mode to remove ACL. Standard Procedure to recover PW using break command during boot process throu CONSOLE port does nothing. What can I do to access this router?

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Ideally u get the normal startup messages in the Console port only and u wont have the same kinda facitlity on in ur AUX port.

what i would suggest here at the first point is to change and try with different baud rates during normal startup.That mite do the trick...coz i have seen some cases where u got total difference in baud rate while in the normal mode and also different during startup mode.

regds

In the past it was a common problem on the 2500,of the console port failing, you would see output from the router but could not input any data, is this your situation? of course if this is the case you cannot use the break key to get into rommon mode.

so you are stuffed!

I think it is not my situation-I can enter show commands through AUX port. Any other ideas?

please do a "sh ver " command and post it, this will tell you the state of the configuration register, then you can determine the speed the console port is set too etc.

Here are applets:

ssc-r1(boot)>sh ver

3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-RXBOOT), Version 9.14(9), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Patchlevel = 9.1(12.6)

Copyright (c) 1986-1994 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 28-Sep-94 14:10 by chansen

System Bootstrap, Version 4.14(9.1), SOFTWARE

ssc-r1 uptime is 1 minute

System restarted by power-on

Running default software

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision C) with 1020K/1024K bytes of memory.

Processor board serial number 01459555

DDN X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2 and BFE compliant.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.

2 Serial network interfaces.

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

Configuration register is 0x2102

And another problem-now AUX port is dead!!!

Ok, from the sh ver I see you do not have any flash memory installed and hence the router comes up in boot mode, which has restricted functionality, I don't know what you are using this router for, but really its not worth bothering about, be easier to get another one on eBay!