cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Export/Import option from ESXI to another ESXI for CUCM CMS CUC

Meddane
VIP
VIP

I am planning to migrate collaboration VM including CUCM CMS CUC and Expressway for customer from existing ESXI to another ESXI installed in another server. 

Can we use the export / import option in vmware vCenter for this migration?

Is it supported by cisco and is there any licensing issues?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

TechLvr
Spotlight
Spotlight

That is not supported. Please see link below for a list of supported features. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/virtualization-software-requirements.html#vmware_features

Your option would be:
1. Vmotion
2. Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment  (does not support CMS or Expressways) 
3. Install and restore from backup
Note: CMS and Expressways are much simpler and less time consuming to rebuild and restore in comparison with other UC Apps like CUCM and CUC.

View solution in original post

Your steps outlined below are good but I made  small corrections on steps 3 and 5. 
1-Backup the DRS on the old publisher, including the subscribers CUCM and IMP, shutdown the three nodes.
2-Install a new publisher with the same network settings and security password in the new ESXI server. Restore the DRS Backup on the new publisher.
3-Delete/re-Add the new subscribers "CUCM and IMP" to the new publisher Under System > Server. For IMP (uncheck the High Availability box).
4-Install the new Subscriber CUCM and IMP with same network settings on the new ESXI Server. Restore the DRS Backup on these subscribers.
5-Reboot the publisher. Once the Pub is all the way up, reboot all  subscribers and IMP any any order or all at once. 

You could also use steps below to restore all three nodes at once.

1-Backup the DRS on the old publisher, including the subscribers CUCM and IMP, shutdown the three nodes.

2-Install a new publisher with the same network settings and security password in the new ESXI server. 

3-Add the new subscribers "CUCM and IMP" to the new publisher Under System > Server. 

4-Install the new Subscriber CUCM and IMP with same network settings on the new ESXI Server. Restore the DRS Backup on the Pub, Sub and IMP at once. You can select these nodes under Restore Wizard Step 4. 

5-After the restore job is completed, reboot the new publisher, once the Pub is all the way up, reboot the Subs and IMP in any order or all at once.   

View solution in original post

39 Replies 39

TechLvr
Spotlight
Spotlight

That is not supported. Please see link below for a list of supported features. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/virtualization-software-requirements.html#vmware_features

Your option would be:
1. Vmotion
2. Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment  (does not support CMS or Expressways) 
3. Install and restore from backup
Note: CMS and Expressways are much simpler and less time consuming to rebuild and restore in comparison with other UC Apps like CUCM and CUC.

If I use the third option. I backup the VMs. Then I install a new VMs with the same network parameters on the new Server ESXI and I restore the backup on the new VMs. Is it right?

That’s correct. You should install the new VMs with the same IP addresses, hostnames, and the same versions as your backups. This info applies to all your UC Apps including expressways and CMS. 

Link below provides more details/instructions on how to restore CUCM 10.x but info hold true about other versions as well. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100_chapter_011.html

Many thanks for your answer and precious contribution. For expressway if we install a new VM we can have licensing issue since expressway license is tied to the serial number if I I am not wrong.

The expressways only use RMS licenses (for B2B calls). These licenses are tied to the expressway serial number but you can open a case with the Cisco License team to re-host your licenses. They will ask you for the serial numbers of your new Exp pair. 

Also, if you are running version X8.X, make sure you ask Cisco to send you the option keys as well. You need to install the exact same option keys on your new Exp C and E pair as your existing pair before you can properly restore from backup. Version X12.X come preloaded with all the option keys. All you have to do is to select the correct option keys during the initial setup via GUI. 

Currently the customer the expressway is not deployed for B2B calling, but for MRA and webRTC. 

You can see a list of all the licenses and option keys that your servers currently use under Maintenance > Option Keys. 

Make sure you check that for both Exp C and Exp E. Install the new option keys/licenses exactly  the same as they are installed on the existing servers. Cisco will also provide you with a pair of release keys. You need to insert one one each of your new Exp servers under the option keys page. 

By the way, MRA does not use licenses. The only other paid license that I can think of besides RMS is Room/DSK which is used for registering video endpoints directly to the expressway. 

@TechLvr   I checked the existing deployment. only the subscriber is concerned by the migration. So I think when the newly built subscriber registers to the publisher, it will automatically get the database from the publisher. there will be no need to restore a backup and without a risk of licensing issues.

Correct. You don’t need to restore from backup if you are migrating a subscriber node. As you mentioned, it will automatically sync with the Pub after installation. 

Note: If you are building the Sub with the same IP/host name. Then shutdown the Sub in question. From the Pub, go to System > Server, and delete and re-add the Sub. Then install the new Sub. 

If you install the Sub with new IP/host name, consider it as adding another Sub in your cluster.

Same thing with  IMP subscriber.

That’s right. 
by the way, you do have to remove your IMP Sub from the the redundancy group in the CUCM before you can delete it from the server list. 

To do that, navigate to System > Presence Redundancy Group in CUCM. Remove IMP Sub from the drop down list. Then uncheck the High Availability box, and hit save. You can then delete/re-add it IMP Sub under System > Server just like a CUCM Sub. 

@TechLvr  many thanks for your contribution. I have never seen such simple explanations in this blog even with TAC engineers.

No problem @Meddane. Glad you found them helpful. Hope your migration goes smoothly. 

finally I have one publisher, one subscriber and one IMP to move to new ESXI server.

So I should use the DRS for backup on the publisher:

1-Backup the DRS on the old publisher, shutdown it.

2-Install a new publisher with the same network settings and security password in the new ESXI server.

3-Restore the backup into the new publisher

4-Add the new subscriber and IMP to the new publisher Under System > Server. For IMP (uncheck the High Availability box)

5-Install the new subscriber and IMP with the same network settings to retrieve the database.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: