cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extension question

danwilson46
Level 1
Level 1

I'm setting up a UC520 with 6 7931s most of the system seems to be working however, I can't figure out to assign extensions to the buttons on the phones. For instance I would like to be able to press button 5 and have it ring at extension 201. I assigned extension 201 to button 5 on extension 202 with the following commands:

ephone 6

device-security-mode none

mac-address xxx

ephone-template 15

username "John" password xxx

type 7931

button 1:11 2:54 3:53 4:52

button 5:10

here is the config for dn 10 that is extension 201:

ephone-dn 10 dual-line

number 201 no-reg primary

label 201

description Jonathan

name Jonathan

call-forward busy 211

call-forward noan 211 timeout 10

I can dial the extension manually but not by pressing button 5.

Any ideas?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What you have done is called "shared line", and is useful in many cases.

The easier way for what you want, is called "monitor":

button 5m10

you will be able to fastdial and transfer pressing it, in addition if you configure "dss" with transfer-mode under telephony-service, you will be able to transfer to associated extension without pressing the softkey before. That is especially convenient for operators.

Note, that unlike "shared line", monitor button has only two visible states: off and red. Instead shared-line reflects accurately the state of the associated extension when ringing, hold, etc.

But it cannot be used to fastdial, as you noticed.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dan,

Here is what you should try :)

Monitor-Line Button for Speed Dial

For Cisco CME 3.2 and later versions, a monitor-line button can be used to speed-dial the monitor line's number. A monitor line is a line that is shared by two people. Only one person can make and receive calls on the shared line at a time, while the other person, whose line is in monitor mode, is able to see that the line is in use. Speed dialing is available when monitor lines' lamps are off, indicating that the line is not in use. For example, an assistant who wants to talk with a manager can press an unlit monitor-line button to speed-dial the manager's number.

A monitor-line lamp is off or unlit only when its line is in the idle call state. The idle state occurs before a call is made and after a call is completed. For all other call states, the monitor-line lamp is on or lit.

The following example shows a monitor-line configuration. Extension 2311 is the manager's line, and ephone 1 is the manager's phone. The manager's assistant monitors extension 2311 on button 2 of ephone 2. When the manager is on the line, the lamp is lit on the assistant's phone. If the lamp is not lit, the assistant can speed-dial the manager by pressing button 2.

ephone-dn 11

number 2311

ephone-dn 22

number 2322

ephone 1

button 1:11

ephone 2

button 1:22 2m11

No additional configuration is required to enable a phone user to speed dial the number of a monitored shared line, when the monitored line is in an idle call state.

DSS (Direct Station Select) Service

In Cisco Unified CME 4.0(2) and later versions, the DSS (Direct Station Select) Service feature allows the phone user to press a single speed-dial line button to transfer an incoming call when the call is in the connected state. This feature is supported on all phones on which monitor line buttons for speed dial or speed-dial line buttons are configured.

When the DSS service is enabled, the system automatically generates a simulated transfer key event when needed, eliminating the requirement for the phone user to press the Transfer button.

Disabling the service changes the behavior of the speed-dial line button on all IP phones so that a user pressing a speed-dial button in the middle of a connected call will play out the speed-dial digits into the call without transferring the call. When DSS service is disabled, the phone user must first press Transfer and then press the monitor or speed-dial line button to transfer the incoming call.

SCCP: Enabling DSS Service

To enable DSS Service for all on all SCCP phones on which monitor line buttons for speed dial or speed-dial line buttons are configured, perform the following steps.

Prerequisites

Cisco Unified CME 4.0(2) or a later version.

SUMMARY STEPS

1. enable

2. configure terminal

3. telephony-service

4. service dss

5. end

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmespeed.html#wp1035362

Hope this helps!

Rob

EDIT: Paolo, it's time for you to head to the Pub my friend!

Thanks for the help guys I will give it a try when I head back to the office on Monday.

Thanks Guys that worked great.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: