cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fax/Modem operation with ccm

chadwick
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning to use the ATA 186 devices to give me analog ports off of my voip system. I have read alot of stuff about fax-relay and fax-passthru and such but am not really clear on what is needed for my situation. All I really want is to be able to hook a fax machine to a port on an ATA device and assign a DID from my pri to that port through callmanager and send/recieve faxes to/from the PSTN.

2 Replies 2

rickb
Level 3
Level 3

An ATA is fine for what you are talking about with some caveats. It isn't as stable a platform for these types of communications as a VG248 or FXS ports on a router. I have customers both ways, I would say if you do a lot of faxing look into the FXS route with the VG248 or the router, otherwise the newer ATA's are fine with faxing.

Either way (faxing or modem), don't expect fast communication speeds.

Rick

Thanks. I had tested one out with dialup internet access and it would at least connect and let me surf - dont remember the speed or anything but it served the purpose. just alot of the stuff i had read about fax-relay and such got me wondering if it was gonna work with fax machines. i wont be doing much faxing or modem use - not any more than a normal office would.

you mention the vg248 - those are the 48 port analog device correct? if i had need for a large modem pool or fax pool i could just go with one of those and hook up 48 analog lines and then just hook the vg248 into the network via ethernet correct?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: