cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FAX: poor line condition, and etc.

rob.leetun
Level 1
Level 1

We are experiencing problems with our fax machines, which one of the errors is poor line condition. Any ideas? The line is good, which has been tested.

9 Replies 9

maharris
Level 5
Level 5

I was just looking at this very good tech note - while it is specific to 6608 and VG248, a lot of it is generally applicable. It describes differences between fax passthrough/fax relay/clear channel, and G3/SuperG3/modem, and has good troubleshooting discussion:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk652/tk777/technologies_tech_note09186a00801e61bb.shtml

Mary Beth

mparekh
Level 3
Level 3

What are you using for your gateway? Are you using it in conjuction with Call Manager? Some gateways (H323) require to user modem passthrough intead of fax passthrough command.

Please Check for any clock slips on the E1 or T1 controller. And make sure its not incrementing and its clean!

-Yavuz

Incoming or Outgoing faxes? what gateway is being used? We had similar issues...Ensure if you are using newer fax machines..or the fax machines that are sending to your site Super G3 and V34 are disabled.

Hi,

Our customer experienced the samiliar problem. They are using WinFax installed on a PC with a modem card, and connected to an ATA, the gateway is cisco2651XM T1 PRI configured H323 with modem pass through.

The problem is that some of the pages are always partial when receiving the fax.

In my case, I should configure modem pass-through as I did instead of fax pass through, right?

Thanks,

JJ

Hi,

I am the originator of this thread. Yes if you have your gateway configured pass through then the ATA and the CallManager MUST be the same. You should have your gateway set up for fax pass for the fax machine to communicate with the gateway. Leave the modem pass through code in the gateway as well. Make sure that the setting you are using in CCM are the same as in the ATA. Any little difference between the two will give you problems.

We had the same problems you are describing with a VG248, and I solved it by setting up fax relay on the gateway, VG248 and in CallManager. We are having great success with this configuration. Remember that if the ATA or VG248 cannot resolve fax relay between two fax machines it will default to pass-through. Verify that you have your pass through set up for legecy and not IOS as a global setting for the ATA. This helps with the older fax machines in your environment.

I can send you our configurations, since there is no clear documentation in TAC on how to set this all up. I worked with a level 1 engineer and he did not quite know how to set this up. We have it nailed and faxes are really working great!

I am interested in seeing your configurations.

scotts@cve.com

Thanks.

Hello, I would like to see your configs. I am have the same issue with 2 older Brother fax machines connected to a VG350. 

Please open up a new thread. We can look into the issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: