cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Forcing a phone background image to phones

MooneyN
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to force 7941 phones to use a specific background image? Seems that there is a default one that they can change back to.

I want to to have an image (or several) sent to the phones and then users unable to change back to the cisco default image (horizontal lines).

17 Replies 17

b.lierman
Level 1
Level 1

I needed to do this on a bunch of 7970s for customer recently. I wrote a Java program that uses the JTAPI interface to send the command sequency to each phone to change the background.

Another engineer I worked with opened a TAC case to see if there was any other way and they it's either do it manually or write your own program.

Could you e-mail your java program to me at nicholas.mooney@fujitsu.com.au - would be appreciated!

I was interested in the java program as well...If one of you wouldn't mind forwarding it to me at jwright@bokf.com I would appreciate it.

If you're sharing that java program I'd love to see it too thomas.hartley@gmail.com

Thanks...

From time to time i get e-mailed about this ...

The software you're looking to push images out (i.e., tell the phone to load the image) is available here: http://www.voipintegration.com/software

Of course, this is not an endorsement of the software by me, cisco or the forum.

Thanks for the link. I had found the tools from VoIP Integration, but they don't seem to work in my environment.

I assume this is due to EM and not having a user associated with a handset.

I'd love to find out I'm wrong about that though, becuase all of those tools look very handy...

Thanks

Hi Lierman,

I'm trying to upload a different image into a 7970 ip phone using the list.xml and tftp-server flash comands, but nothing happened. Could you give me an advice how can I handle this, please?

Thank you so much!

Adrian

Hi,

Can you do the same to 7941's?

I need to do this for about 1500 phones :-o

the tool from voipintegration doesn't work, and has no support...

Can you please share the prog or source code?

saschamonteiro@hotmail.com

thanks

Sascha

Hi Lierman

I'm trying to change the background on 7970 ip phone but I couldn't manage it yet. I tried with CME 4.0 and with CCM 4.1(3). I created the List.xml, and the png (320x212, 80x53) and save them on the flash:Desktops/320x212x12 (for CME) and on the C:\Program Files\Cisco\TFTPPath\320x212x12 (for CCM). But when I try to change the image on the phone there is only the default one.

I would appreciate so much if you can share the Java program with me to solve this problem. If you want I even can pay for it. I really need it.

My email is adrianic2003@yahoo.com

Thank you!

Adrian

You need to ensure all the files are being shared via tftp on your router:

something like:

tftp-server flash:Desktops/320x196/image.png

tftp-server flash:Desktops/320x196/TN-image.png

etc

Do a "debug tftp events" then "term mon" and try loading the image on the phone. You should see the phone making tftp requests to the router for the xml, the thumbnails and the images.

I wanted to add, on the CallManager, make sure you reset your TFTP service or the phones will never know that the list.xml file has changed.

Also, I've had a few instances where the 7970 wouldn't pull the new list of backgrounds until a hard reboot was done to the phone. Not sure if this was from a specific firmware or the hardware itself.

Would like to hear any suggestions on automating background image changes. The VOIP Integration tool does not work for me. I can't believe there is not an option in CM to do this. We run 4.2.3 SR1. Anyone? I have about 1000 phones to change.

I believe we have a problem with our tool running in AD where CM does not have permission to add users.

If you would like, please contact me off line at bvonarx@voipintegration.com and I'll help you get the background deployment working

Some people might want to replace the call manager authentication URL web page with a page that just returns AUTHENTICATED (no html or other formatting).

This will allow you to push to many phones without having to be associated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: