cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gatekeeper and G729 bandwidth

ciscoforum
Level 1
Level 1

I noticed when use g729, the allocated bandwidth is 16K in gatekeeper.Has anybody noticed there will be some design concern here since the real bandwidth used is more than this, roughly 26.4k(including layer 2/3 header). Apparently 16k is based on 2*8kbps which is full duplex G729 codec. Personally I think this value on the GK should be changed to reflect the real allocated bandwith, otherwise it'll be a misleading. Same as G711 , it allocated 128, 2*64, which is far more than 80K. Any comment? Thanks

1 Reply 1

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I know what you mean - however this would mean that the Gk would have to be aware of the L2 technologies in use on the network in order to calculate the requisite bandwidth...

Basically you should be aware of your network topology and therefore be able to calculate the number of calls you can support of a given codec - so if you know you can support 4 calls at 26.4 and then put in a bandwidth of 64.

It's not as precise as working out the actual figure but most of the time it's workable enough.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!