cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Greeting

k.ms
Level 1
Level 1

We have Unity 3.1.5 integrated with CM 3.1.

Requirement-When somebody calls from outside & if the extension is busy or ring no answer he should listen to a greeting "Extension you are trying ....please press 0 for operator or 1 to leave a voice mail"(this greeting should be common for all) & when the outsider presses 1 it should go to the personal greeting of the particular extension & he should be able to leave a voicemail.

Can the above mentioned flow completely configured on Unity.

Regds

Kiran.M.S

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, one easy way you can do this without a whole lot of overhead is changing the prompt that is played after the subscriber's personal greeting "...you may leave your message at the tone, remain on the line for further options" and then it beeps and starts recording. A lot of folks just blank that prompt out because they don't want it playing after their subscriber's custom recorded greeting.

If you replaced it with something like "you may dial 0 now to reach the operator or stay on the line to leave a message at the tone..." that sounds like it would get the callers the info that they can get to the operator rather than leaving a message which is what I'm guessing is the end goal here.

Bouncing back and forth among a common handler and back to the subscriber the call forwarded into Unity from isn't possible - this is very similiar to a request made out here yesterday (same site?) - the only way to do _exactly_ what you want is to create seperate call handlers for each subscriber and have calls from subscirbers' phones forward to those call handlers which are setup to play the system wide greeting and allow callers to press 1 to then forward to the personal greeting of the subscriber.

This solution is pretty admin intensive for a large site, however, and I'm not sure how much value this actually brings over simply replacing that one prompt and being done. I guess I need to understand what the reason for this is (i.e. exact emulation of an existing system with no deviations or imparting to the caller that they can get to the operator without having to leave a message if they'd like).

Hi Lindborg,

I tried using Call Handlers,& is working fine but for this I have to create a call handler & call routing(forwarded call) for each subscriber(total 200 subscribers) & as told is tidious.Will the no of Call handlers & call routing affect performance.

where can I change the prompt from "...you may leave your message at the tone, remain on the line for further options" to "you may dial 0 now to reach the operator or stay on the line to leave a message at the tone..."

where should I configure so that it plays immedeately after the subscriber greeting(I tried using After Greeting>Send caller to..).Can the required setting done globally common to all subscribers.

Kiran

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Couple things here...

first, you shouldn't need to use routing rules for this at all... if the call handlers you create have an extension that corresponds to the ID forwarding in from the switch, Unity will route the call to that call handler directly. You can create as many call handlers as you want and it wont affect the performance. The same is NOT true for routing rules - I would not reccomend making hundreds of routing rules - not a good idea.

The prompt that plays after the subscriber's greeting that I mentioned is discussed in this thread:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&type=bookmarks&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40.ee83e4c/0#selected_message

I don't understand what you mean by "where should I configure so that it plays immediately after the subscriber greeting" - the prompt I mention is ALWAYS played after the greeting for all subscribers so you shouldn't have to do anything at all other than record the WAV file to say what you want...

Hi Lindborg,

Thank you very much for your response,I am trying this as Kiran is on leave.As per your suggestion we created a seperate call handler for each subscriber , but without using Routing rules we were not able to transfer the calls to sepcific call handlers. You have asked to give an extension number to the call handler that corresponds to the ID forwarding in from the switch.I tried giving the subscriber extension no as the call handler extension no ( in the profile page ) but it gave an error saying the extension no must be unique.Can you please let me know where should I give the extension no in the call handler to route the call directly ?

Also when you route a call from a subscriber to the corresponding call handler directly and after the system wide message is complete and the caller presses 1 to leave a voicemail the call comes back to the subscriber,but since all calls coming to the subscriber are directed to the call handler will this not form a loop? and will the personal greetings be played? Please suggest us how to go about this.

Regards,

Jagadish

You can't assing the same extension to a call handler and a subscriber - you will have to use a different ID for the subscriber and the call handler (i.e. calls forwarded from the phone come from one ID and calls directly from that phone use another).

This is one of the reaons why I suggested going with changing the prompt played after the subscriber's greeting instead of using call handlers for this - the overhead is heavy here and I seriously don't think you're providing any improvement for the caller experience doing all this extra work. If the goal is to simply let the caller know they can exit out to the operator instead of leaving a message I would definitely go that route - this seems like an _lot_ of extra work just to make it sound exactly as your old system did.

In my opinion, forcing the caller to have to hit a 1 to leave a mesage (the common scenario here) is not an ideal flow to begin with. In most cases callers will want to leave a message for the person they are calling and it'd be better not ot make them have to hit another digit to do that every time they call. Is there a specific reason why they want callers to have to hit and extra "1" to leave a message each time they call someone that I'm not understanding here?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: