cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with unity

lkinchen
Level 1
Level 1

A while ago I posted a question on "How to have one ext with two vm boxes". I recieved an answer and a link to unity information that should have help me. my problem now is, I hate to sound stupid, bu all of this is new to me and I don't understand what it asking me to do. If there is anyone out there that knows how to do this and can explain it to me in plain english I would greatly appreciate it.

Again,what I'm trying to do.I have one ext, for example x3000, in the day or normal business hours this ext and voicemail belongs to me. But after hours this ext is now General Delivery, but I will check it in the morning. What is the best solution for this and how do I do it. In plain english!!

thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1) Create a subscriber mailbox for General Delivery

2) On Jane Doe's mailbox,

2a) on the PROFILE page, look at the Active Schedule - select a schedule (default WEEKDAYS schedule is active from 8 am to 5 pm)

2b) on GREETINGS page, select the CLOSED greeting. Record the greeting to tell caller to press 1 to get to transfer to General Delivery or their mailbox

2c) on CALLER INPUT page, select the 1-key. Select SEND CALLER TO. Select a subscriber. A new window will pop up. Select the General Delivery subscriber. Make sure u select ATTEMPT TRANSFER FOR or else the caller will go straight into the General Delivery's mailbox instead of transferring to the mailbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This isn't actually simple because in none of the voicemail systems that we have (unity, unity express at least--or any others that I know of) can you simply have a number "switch" owners based on a time schedule. Basically, you have to have two different numbers and somehow translate or otherwise change it so that when it comes into the voicemail (depending on the time of day) it gets routed to a different subscriber. So depending on your phone system (callmanager, callmanager express, whatever) you might be able to do that.

Okay I see what you are saying, and I was thinking along the same lines. But, I was told that maybe I could have something like this "For Jane Doe press 1 for General Delivery press 2"..Some how that splits the vm into two. All of your help is greatly appreciated..

1) Create a subscriber mailbox for General Delivery

2) On Jane Doe's mailbox,

2a) on the PROFILE page, look at the Active Schedule - select a schedule (default WEEKDAYS schedule is active from 8 am to 5 pm)

2b) on GREETINGS page, select the CLOSED greeting. Record the greeting to tell caller to press 1 to get to transfer to General Delivery or their mailbox

2c) on CALLER INPUT page, select the 1-key. Select SEND CALLER TO. Select a subscriber. A new window will pop up. Select the General Delivery subscriber. Make sure u select ATTEMPT TRANSFER FOR or else the caller will go straight into the General Delivery's mailbox instead of transferring to the mailbox.

Thanks Hinho,

This solved my problem, Hooray!!!! One more question, now that this is working, she wants her phone to light up,when there is a message in the general delivery mailbox. how can I get this to work.

You can go to the general delivery subscriber page in Unity, click on the Messages link, and then put in the extension that you want the light to come on.

The problem is that you won't know which extension has the messages. If you check one mailbox, and it sends an MWI off message, then there still may be messages in the other mailbox. Just to keep in mind.

There's no other way around this.

Actually you can create a call handler on unity with extension 3000. Record a greeting which says, for jane doe press 1 and for general delivery press 2. Schedule it for "all hours all days". Have caller input 1 go to subscriber greeting for jane doe, and caller input 2 go to subscriber greeting for general delivery. (You have to create two subscribers jane doe and general delivery in unity with dummy extensions, say 1111 and 2222).

Create a routing rule in Unity for forwarded calls, and configure it such that if the call is forwarded from extn 3000 it is forwarded to the call handler you just created.

Have the IP Phone with extension 3000, fwb and fwna to Unity.

When a caller calls and is fordwarded to unity from extn 3000, it hits the call handler you created. Caller hears "for jane doe press 1 and for general delivery press 2". Suppose caller selects 2, it goes to subscriber greeting for general delivery, and caller gets the option to leave a message. To access your mailbox, call unity from your phone directly and you go to opening greeting. Enter the extension 2222 for general delivery mailbox, and password and you can access all your voicemails.

----------------------------------------------------

This thing can also be done by modifying the schedule on unity and having standard and closed greeting configured on the call handler. Between 8am to 5pm, a call forwarded to this handler goes to Standard greeting (which can be blank), and After Greeting action forwards to subscriber greeting for Jane Doe. Between 5pm to 8am, it goes to closed greeting (which is blank) and After Greeting action forwards to subscriber greeting for General Delivery Mailbox.