cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How does MWI work? Magic??

notcreative
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to figure out the exact process for MWI. What is the exact sequence of digits Unity sends to the CM to light a port? Does it send DN then MWI code or something else?

Context... site based system... much like area codes using an * as the identifier. Basically, *XX.YYYY where XX is the site code or 'area' code and YYYY is the 4 digit DN of the user. This lets us have overlapping extensions without any confusion to users. For example, my DN is 8269 and my site is 44. When someone at another site dials *448269 the CM matches *44.XXXX and strips *44 and forwards XXXX to my partition. This is working GREAT! Unity is the challenge.... Unity mailbox was changed to reflect the mailbox number 448269 (since it can't have overlapping extensions either) and the VM Profile was setup to support 44XXXX as a mask. I can access my VM account without any problem. With this, Unity cannot call me though which makes sense b/c CM doesn't know 448269. Within Unity, I can select "Yes, transfer to user at this extension" and put *448269 and it works like a champ every time. So, with this setup, I can login to Unity, Unity can transfer calls to me, users can call me, etc. etc. FANTASTIC. Until I get a message that is. No MWI... I have tried putting *448269 in the alternate MWI field with no luck. I just don't understand the MWI process well enough to tackle this. Any suggestions?

9 Replies 9

aamercado
Level 4
Level 4

I'll take a stab at this..I'm not sure if this would work but

On the dial-out VM MWI ports CSS, can you put a Translation pattern per site to match the site code and strip and send 4 digits (i am assuming all your phone dn and mwi is 4 digits)

if all the phones are on same partition,the overlapp dns will probably mistakenly get mwi and I can't think of a way around this. If each site phones are on diff partition, this may work

if that don't work, well here's some info on mwi:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_troubleshooting_guide_chapter09186a008022b4d2.html

For example lets say the settings for extention 2300 to forward no answer busy is to send the call to unity and mwi ports is 1099 and 1098 for on and off.

if someone calls 2300 and no one picks up then the call will be forwarded to unity and after the caller leaves a message unity will goe off hook on the 1099 port and dials extention 2300 to light the mwi lamp.

When configuring css and partions you want to make sure that the mwi ports and all of your phones can dial each others

Are you suggesting that Unity dials the DN from the MWI port? It sounds like this is much more complex than this. I'm quite familiar with traditional Unity/CCM integrations and have tested the traditional settings... my DN can dial the MWI codes as they are in the same partition as the VM ports. Unity can dial my DN as verified by it's calling my phone directly for transfer. The note to this is I had to manually insert the * before my extension in the transfer parameters.

I've been trying to figure out how to apply a translation and to where but haven't been successful. Our DN's and MWI codes are all 4 digit. The MWI codes are in the same partition/CSS as the VM ports and all the VM ports I believe are usable for MWI. Each site is on different partitions and we'll use the *XX to route from partition A to partition B. The link you sent is bookmarked ;) But, it doesn't show the detail we need to acutally build the MWI translation... if one will work.

I've been trying to figure out how to apply a translation and to where but haven't been successful. Our DN's and MWI codes are all 4 digit. The MWI codes are in the same partition/CSS as the VM ports and all the VM ports I believe are usable for MWI. Each site is on different partitions and we'll use the *XX to route from partition A to partition B. The link you sent is bookmarked ;) But, it doesn't show the detail we need to acutally build the MWI translation... if one will work.

Go into CallManager service parameters and set 'Multiple Tenant MWI' to True (default is false). Now when Unity goes to activate/deactive MWI CCM will send the called party information through translation patterns. Create a new partition, create translation patterns for each site - 44.xxxx 55.xxx etc. - and put them in the new partition. Assign each translation pattern a different CSS that can only call DNs at that particular site. Set the called party transform mask on the trans patterns to XXXX. Put your new partition as the only partition in the MWI On/Off CSS (you should have a separate CSS used only for this anyway). Leave the MWI On and Off partition alone - it needs to be accessible from the Unity ports.

The proccess - Unity goes to light MWI for 448269. The MWI on number 'dials' 448269 which hits the trans pattern which changes it to 8269 and lights the light for x8269 at that site, b/c the CSS on the 44.xxxx translation pattern can only call site 44 partitions.

Oh, and don't forget to say 'abra cadabra' when you hit 'Insert' ;-)

WOW... it's going to take me some time go get through this but I'm working on it.

Here's our steps and environment.

MWI and VM ports are in ALLSITES_VM partition and CSS_ALLSITES_VM calling search space.

we have translation *44.XXXX and others in ALLSITES_SITETRANSLATOR partition and each in the appropriate CSS for the site it's supposed to call after stripping pre-dot.

we enabled Multi-tenant MWI and created a translation in ALLSITES_VM of 448269 that prepends a * and has a css of CSS_ALLSITES_SITETRANSLATOR. This adds a * and passes the string to the Site Translation process that is already built.

So, this works like a top. My question is this, am I in bad shape b/c my VM ports and MWI numbers are in the same partiton/css? Any thing you can think of with this setup I should be concerned with?

and the 'abra cadabra' really did the trick!

Not sure I follow everything, but if it works then it must be right! ;-)

Anyway, you want your vm ports in a partition accessible to everyone. Remember, the partition determines who can call that device, and you probably want everyone to be able to call Unity ports. You probably *don't* want everyone to be able to dial the MWI on/off , only Unity ports. It's up to you to determine how big a risk you think it is that someone would call a MWI on or off DN. The complaint will be that their light is on or off, out of synch with new messages. To avoid this, put the MWI On and Off DNs in a partition only included in the Unity port CSS.

CSSs - CSS determines where a device can call.

MWI On and Off needs to be able to call the translation patterns you've set up, that's it.

Unity Ports need to be able to call wherever you allow outcalling for new message notification, wherever you allow transfers, and (perhaps most importantly) the partition assigned to the MWI On and Off DNs. Generally this CSS is maxed out at local calls only to limit the chance of toll fraud. Within Unity you can define valid dial strings for outcall and transfer and make those restrictions more granular, but you also want to take the extra step in CCM to put a limit on what calls can come from those ports. As far as MWI is concerned Unity only needs to be able to dial the partition assigned to the MWI On and Off DNs.

Translation Patterns - the TPs you created for MWI need to be able to call all partitions assigned to phones they will be lighting/extinguishing MWI for.

Hope this helps.

Don

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: