cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to change hardware without CM upgrade

dlac455
Level 1
Level 1

I found plenty of doc on changing hardware while doing a hardware upgrade. Is there a doc on changing hardware without upgrading CM? Is it possible to change the CM's IP address during the hardware change? Thanks for any advice.

4 Replies 4

mchandak
Level 7
Level 7

If you intend to move your CM from one machine to another you need to do the following:

1. Take a Backup of the system using BARS.

2. Install the new machine with the same Hostname and IP Address.

3. Once install, use the same version of BARS to do a restore it on the new server.

Also, since you would be used the same HostName and IP Address, you need to ensure both the servers are either not powered on at the same time or you install the new box within an isolated Lab and when the server is good to be connected to the Production setup, you should either disconnect or Power down the old server

I have done this, however BARS is telling me that there is a Hostname-IP address mismatch and cannot proceed. I checked...and everything is identical.

Is there something I am missing?

I found out why. I didn't have my new server's nic plugged into anything. If the network connection is not up/up....it won't work.

Thanks,

Ben

Hey Ben,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us :) We all have those "magical moments" don't we. 5 points for your good natured approach here!

Take care,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: