cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to change the background image on IP Phone 8861

Hi Concern,

I face some problem on changing background image on IP Phone 8861. I prepare 

.png file as per below doc.

• Full size image - 800 pixels (width) X 480 pixels (height).

• Thumbnail image - 159 pixels (width) X 109 pixels (height).

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8811_8841_8851_8861/10_5/english/adminguide/P881_BK_A92A3B94_00_adminguide-8811_41_51_61-10_5/P881_BK_A92A3B94_00_adminguide-8811_41_51_61-10_5_chapter_01010.html#P881_RF_C8927D88_00

I upload the png and List.xml on cucm 10.5 as per above doc.

List.xml Example 

<CiscoIPPhoneImageList>
<ImageItem Image="TFTP:Desktops/800x480x24/TN-Fountain.png" URL="TFTP:Desktops/640x480x24/p1-800X480.png"/> 
<ImageItem Image="TFTP:Desktops/800x480x24/TN-FullMoon.png" URL="TFTP:Desktops/640x480x24/p2-159X109.png"/> 
</CiscoIPPhoneImageList>

Now i go to phone set and check new background picture not shows it says "no wallpaper server" something like that. 

Please help on the issue. 

Thanks

Afzal

14 Replies 14

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Take a look at this bug

Documentation: background image size/path for 88xx phones is 800x480x24
CSCus27001

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

Thanks for reply.

Now Image directory will be like 

Directory: /Desktops/640x480x24/CSCus27001/

or 

Directory: /640x480x24/CSCus27001/

Thanks

Afzal

Did you open and reviewed the bug info?????

HTH

java

Hi Jaime,

No

How can i do that?

Thanks

Afzal

Use the bug search tool to review the bug info and you'll see what you need to adjust for the backgrounds to work.

HTH

java

Hi Jaime,

i upload backgroung file and list.xml but not work ... In device->phone->8861 i need to do anything for background picture.

in my list.xml what line i need to add for only for background picture.

Thanks

Afzal

To what path did you uploaded the files and List.xml, notice the name IS case sensitive. And in case you just did a copy-paste from a web page, you might have copied some invisible characters the phone cannot parse, best way is to copy from the example by hand.

What do the image specs are??

How does the List.xml file looks like??

Did you restart TFTP after uploading the files??

Is your phone looking at that TFTP??

HTH

java

1. 800x480x24.png

2. List.xml is below:-

<CiscoIPPhoneImageList>
<ImageItem Image="TFTP:Desktops/800x480x24/TN-Fountain.png" URL="TFTP:Desktops/640x480x24/Logo-800X480px.png"/>
</CiscoIPPhoneImageList>

I upload List.xml and Image file on  Desktops/800x480x24/  directory 

3. Yes 

4. yes i restart the phone and its register now but new background image is not there 

Hi Jaime,

Thanks is done .. 

On dx650 phone background change is same procedure or different.

File size is different i know but list.xml is same or different ?

Or i can upload only one list.xml file just line add for dx650 phone.

Thanks

Afzal 

You basically need to repeat the process for phone models with different screen sizes, new desktops/x folder, new images to fit, and new List.xml

Phones are hardcoded to ONLY look at the folder for their screen size.

HTH

java

Hi Jaime,

Yes i checked bug Thumbnail image size is problem. Background image is correct.

in my list.xml what line i need to add

Thanks

Afzal

robert.grimes
Level 1
Level 1
  1. Create a .xml file.
  2. Create two .png files. One (big) needs to be 800x480 and one (small) should be 139x109
  3. Upload all three files to the relevant folder on the TFTP server - e.g. Desktops/800x480x24/
  4. Restart the TFTP server.

Sample .xml file:

<CiscoIPPhoneImageList>
<ImageItem Image="TFTP:Desktops/800x480x24/small.png" URL="TFTP:Desktops/800x480x24/big.png"/>
</CiscoIPPhoneImageList>

Make sure there is no 'white space' after the last character in the .xml file - i.e. after the final '>' symbol, there should be no further spaces or line breaks.

If you ever need to double check the correct size for background images, it is best to check what Call Manager is already using. 

1. Log into OS admin
  2. Navigate to TFTP file management
  3. find TFTP files where directory begins with Desktops/800x480x24
  4. copy the name of a file - e.g. syn_wallpaper_thumb_02.png
  5. open a new browser and enter this as the url:

http://<ip of tftp server>:6970/Desktops/800x480x24/syn_wallpaper_thumb_02.png

Image will load in browser and you will be able to 'right click' the image and view its properties.

Easy when you know how ;-)

garrettw87
Level 1
Level 1

I have an 8861 with this same issue. I'm not using it with CUCM -- I'm doing 3rd Party Call Control and manually configuring it with a Linux TFTP server I set up by hand.

I have the PNG files in the proper format and place, and the List.xml file written correctly, and I've even rebooted both the phone and the TFTP server -- yet it still gives me the black /!\ error icon in the wallpaper menu on the phone and refuses to use the files.

My TFTP server logs even show it is properly requesting the files.

I made the images in Photoshop and exported without transparency at 800x480 and 139x109.

What on earth could the issue be?

I've attached my TFTP log, my phone's XML config file, and my Desktops directory. My phone is using the same firmware version as the OP.

(PS: If anyone wants to offer suggestions on tweaks to my XML file that would work better for an 8861, please do offer them! I just made it by piecing together information I found for other models around the web in hopes that it would work, and it finally did.)

(PPS: To anyone who might be able to help me, please note that the default sort order may have the latest comments (mine) at the TOP, and I have not been helped yet.)

Hi Garrett, 

You have made a mistake in your List.xml file.

Your configuration

<CiscoIPPhoneImageList>

<ImageItem URL="TFTP:Desktops/800x400x24/ta-phone-wp-800.png" Image="TFTP:Desktops/800x400x24/ta-phone-wp-800tn.png"/>

</CiscoIPPhoneImageList>

As per my previous post, the xml file should have this format:

<CiscoIPPhoneImageList>
<ImageItem Image="TFTP:Desktops/800x480x24/small.png" URL="TFTP:Desktops/800x480x24/big.png"/> 
</CiscoIPPhoneImageList>

You have the images the wrong way around - i.e. 'big' followed by 'small' instead of 'small' followed by 'big'. 

If you try this List.xml configuration, I think it should work: 

<CiscoIPPhoneImageList>

<ImageItem URL="TFTP:Desktops/800x400x24/ta-phone-wp-800tn.png" Image="TFTP:Desktops/800x400x24/ta-phone-wp-800.png"/>

</CiscoIPPhoneImageList>

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: