cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to work with RS-232 commands in Cisco edge 340?

Hello friends,

Can anyone please advise on how to execute RS-232 commands in Cisco Edge 340 players?

I checked Edge 340 sw configuration guide, but couldn't find any information related to it.

Please respond if anyone has any idea?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dev Vishwakarma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Shabeer,

Where do you have this edge 340 synced with? If its Appspace then you should be able to use appspace to control the TV turn on and off and volume on and off through appspace.

I have not tried but you should be able to use any program like minicom to send commands from the edge desktop.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dev Vishwakarma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Shabeer,

Where do you have this edge 340 synced with? If its Appspace then you should be able to use appspace to control the TV turn on and off and volume on and off through appspace.

I have not tried but you should be able to use any program like minicom to send commands from the edge desktop.

Hi Devendra,

We are planning to test this without syncing with Appspace as I need to check RS-232 cable.

In case if I prefer registering with Appsace, is there any configuration to be done in order to enable RS-232 in Edge 340 player before registration with Appspace. Do you have any guidelines to test the commands?

It will be helpful.

Thanks and Regards,

Shabeer

It can be done using Appspace advanced device templates. One needs to make RS-232 cable as per the RS-232 ports in the TV screen.

Looks like you may have figured this out, but to test directly on the Edge, use the command:

rs232 -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -r 9600 -d 8 -s 1 -p n -t 10 -h <lcd_command_in_hex>

For example, to turn on a Cisco 52" display from an Edge, it would be:

rs232 -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -r 9600 -d 8 -s 1 -p n -t 10 -h AA11FF010112

This can be done in Appspace using the Advanced Device Manager (ADM).  It comes with some task templates with the above command already configured.  Nice thing about ADM is you can simply supply the command you want to send (hex screen code) and the template will append that to a completed command string and send it.

William

Appspace

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: