Views
Helpful
Replies

HP/Compac/Cisco MCS disk Mirroring

d.marsh
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

Does anyone know how to break the mirror of the raid array on a 7835 (or 7845) remotely, i.e. using software to do it?

Cheers

Dave Marsh

4 Replies 4

maharris
Level 5
Level 5

I think you should be able to Term Svc or VNC to the server, and start up the Compaq System Tools/Compaq Array Config Utility, and do it from there.

Mary Beth

I have tried that but I can't see a way to break the mirror so one of the physical disks isn't used.

I want this so I can do remote changes via Term srv/KVM/VNC but if we have a problem can have a backout plan of running from the other disk. Normally to do this I would have an engineer go to site power down the server and pop a disk out, just wanna know if you can do a virtual pop of a disk via software to stop the need for a site visit., would also reduce the need for a power down of the server.

I thought there might be a way to remove one of the drives from the array to break the mirror, but looking at the Compaq Array Config Utility help on modifying the drive array, it says that if you remove a drive from an array, you will delete all logical drives and destroy any data on the array, so this would not be a good answer. I think you are better off having someone on site anyway, in case something unexpected happens. But, I know there are many out there bolder than I : )

Mary Beth

Yeah I see your point, I don't think its a great idea to break the mirror remotly but it can sometimes be a strain to get engineers to sites to pull the disk.

Thanks for your help