Replies

impact when licence expired for cucm 9.1.2

r.cherkaoui
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I have a cucm 9.1.2 without any SU and I have a license expired for 774 days,

is it going to block voicemail service?

And also if I switch to SU5 is that a license is requested?

thank you very much.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Radouane,

Generally what happens when you have a license expiry, the UCM will not allow you to do MACD.  So you cannot change anything on your UCM system until you resolve the licensing issue -or- you reboot the publisher (which gives you <24 hours of MACD).  If your Unity server is not licensing violation, then it can still answer calls and take voice messages.  But if your Unity server is in licensing violation, then the integration ports will stop taking calls.  The Unity licensing and UCM user licensing is calculated independently, so it's possible UCM is in violation but Unity is not.

As for switching to SU5, I am not sure the upgrade itself will be blocked due to a licensing violation, but I would strongly recommend that you start to look at upgrading to UCM 11.5 or even 12.0 when it's released in a couple of weeks.  The end of life process for 9.1 is well underway and a few key cutoff dates have already passed (End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Session Management Edition Sof…). 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Radouane,

Generally what happens when you have a license expiry, the UCM will not allow you to do MACD.  So you cannot change anything on your UCM system until you resolve the licensing issue -or- you reboot the publisher (which gives you <24 hours of MACD).  If your Unity server is not licensing violation, then it can still answer calls and take voice messages.  But if your Unity server is in licensing violation, then the integration ports will stop taking calls.  The Unity licensing and UCM user licensing is calculated independently, so it's possible UCM is in violation but Unity is not.

As for switching to SU5, I am not sure the upgrade itself will be blocked due to a licensing violation, but I would strongly recommend that you start to look at upgrading to UCM 11.5 or even 12.0 when it's released in a couple of weeks.  The end of life process for 9.1 is well underway and a few key cutoff dates have already passed (End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Session Management Edition Sof…). 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

See this section here

System Administration Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 9.x - Managing Licenses in Cisco Unity Connection 9.x [Ci…

If the required number of licenses are not installed on the ELM server, the license status becomes “Violation”. However, you can still use the licensed features on Unity Connection for 60 days, which is the grace period. During this grace period, you are required to obtain and install the required number of licenses or reduce the usage of the licensed features in order to avoid license violation. However, if you do not take the required action during the grace period, then license status becomes “Expire”.

Once the license status of Unity Connection software changes to “Expire”, the software will stop functioning. The Unity Connection server will not answer any calls to leave or retrieve voicemails. However, you can still add, modify or delete configuration data on the server. You are required to obtain and install the required number of licenses or reduce the usage of the licensed features to avoid license violation. After taking the required action, the license status changes from “Expire” to “Compliance” and you can use the licensed features on Unity Connection again.

For CUCM, is there ever a time when the grace period restarts back to 60 days? 

An example would be if the 60 day windows lapses, temporary licenses are applied and then they expire. 

Cisco Prime License Manager User Guide, Release 11.5(1) - License Management [Cisco Prime License Manager] - Cisco

Licensing Migration Support

Product licensing has a grace period from the time that users are configured on the system. For Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Unity Connection, the grace period is 60 days.

The grace period counter starts when a system is first reported/detected as out of compliance.  The date/time of non-compliance is recorded and will not be cleared until the PLM has enough licenses to fulfill each UMC's licensing requirements.  Turning off the server does not stop or change the timer. 

But once a server is considered compliant, the grace period counter will be cleared and any future licensing compliance issues will restart the grace period.  This is true for UCM and CUC.   So you could go 59 days, have enough licenses to clear the counter, then the next day go out of compliance and restart the grace period counter. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Hi Dakeller , I have a question over this case but in our case is about a 10.5(2) cucm cluster:

I just wanted to know if rebooting the publisher server over a 10.5(2) cucm cluster we will be able to do MACD over the cluster, having as you said on previous messages, a 24 hours period to restore to the previous status of the cucm. I couldn't find any documentation about this point on the service release for this version.

Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

Marc