Views
Helpful
Replies

Informacast Paging No Audio for Multicast

mdrangell22
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am having issues using Paging with Mutlicast.

I have read that I need to activate IP-MULTICAST in router and/or switch L3. In my case it would be L3 but my IOS arent IPSERVICES so I can't activate multicast.

I was wondering if I put my Paging Server in the same Vlan that use my phones the audio go through succefully to my phones or anyway I would need to activae multicast?

5 Replies 5

Gregory Brunn
Spotlight
Spotlight

It is layer 2 multicast at that point and uses IGMP snooping. 

Look at the license you have supported do you supported IGMP snooping and layer 2 mcast?

Similar Thread

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/ip-base-license/td-p/2579539

My Switches are L3 and I can't enable multicat because I don't have access to "ip multicast routing" command

So I want to know if I put my paging server in the same vlan that my IP Phone I still would need multicast

The answer is yes liked stated above. It is layer 2 mcast.... see comment above about igmp snooping. 

Show your exact model and licenses you ordered on the switch if you need someone to comment on it. The IP services model of licensing is a pretty old one, but I no longer quote licensing alot.

Ok do you mean that now I have to enable just multicast in L2 with IGMP Snooping?

I think the commands should be:

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

ip igmp version 3

Under vlan de voice right?

Yes, you need to configure those commands under your interface vlan. For example:

interface Vlan10
 ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0
 ip pim sparse-dense-mode
 ip igmp version 3

Please check below document for more details:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/68131-cat-multicast-prob.html 

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: