cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing ART

l.kellett
Level 1
Level 1

Whilst installing ART, when it asks for a 'Login Name' and 'Password', to connect to the SQL server, it comes back with a message 'Unable to connect to the SQL Server', I have used the following accounts to try and connect, sa,administrator and SQLSvc. Is there a particular account I need to use ?

5 Replies 5

mimckee
Level 1
Level 1

You need to use sa and the sa password. You can verify you have the correct sa password by going to start -> programs -> microsoft sql 7.0 -> query analyzer. Select SQL server authentication and put sa as the user and the password you think it is. If you get connected you have the correct password.

Thank you,

-Mckee

Thanks for your reply. I can successfully connect to the SQL server using query analyzer, but I still get the error mesage 'Login for user sa failed. Setup couldn't connect to the SQL server'. Are there any traces I can do on the SQL server to see why the login is failing ?

And what if you cannot remember this name and password? Is there a way to retrieve it, reset it? Anything? Can I reinstall SQL to reset the password without screwing up the data?

asparrowhawk
Level 1
Level 1

I've come across this a couple of times, below is the workaround from TAC - you may have to run through this several times before the correct file location is picked up.

This bug is a duplicate of CSCdv34563. The osql.exe is getting backed up in temporary location during SQL Service Pack3 installation. The same has been verified by the following steps by the submitter.

a) Run the ART installation.

b) When you get the Logon failure error, do not click OK or cancel.

c) Open the file "C:\Ciscowebs\art\tempfiles\sqlbat.bat", and check the first

line in the file.

d) It has the path to osql.exe being used by the installation. In case it is

not "C:\MSSQL\binn\osql.exe" then, open the folder as mentioned in the file

and change the property of the folder to show hidden files and folders.

e) Rename the osql.exe file.

f) Cancel the ART installation and restart the installation.

The steps can be continued till the installation goes through successfully.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: