cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Communicator

p.weeks
Level 1
Level 1

We have installed the IP Communicator on serveral laptop pc's for one of our customers. All the users that had IP Commmunicator have stopped using it due bad voice quality. I have done some testes with my own pc, a HP nw8000 and the customers pc's, IBM Think Pad 40 or 41. On the IBM pc's the voice quality is poor. There is no typical qos problems like jitter but there is a sort fuzzeness to the voice. Has anyone seen similar problems or now of any restrictions w.r.t IBM Think Pads? During a conversation the cpu was around 50% despite nothing else being done on the pc.

3 Replies 3

courtschuett
Level 1
Level 1

We had similar problems too. What we found to help a lot was the volume control. Try playing with the volume and see if that helps. We turned it down and immediately saw improvements in quality. The communicator isn't perfect, but we have quite a few people using it without many problems.

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

Are they using G.729 or G.711 codec for IP Communicator. If it's 729, that might (I say MIGHT) cause some poor quality issues. We've not had good luck using 729. 711 is much better as far as voice quality...but yes it uses more bandwidth.

p.weeks
Level 1
Level 1

A little more info. We are using G711 as the Codec and a USB headset for sound and mic. There is some indication that it might be the USB port on the docking station for the labtop that is the problem. We have tried several different USB headsets with inconsistent results. Some headsets seem to give better quqality thatn others but testing is incomplete.