cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN disconnect cause code 80AF

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Have anybody dealt with a cause code as below ?

*Mar 2 02:10:35.641: ISDN Se1/0:23 Q931: RX <- SETUP pd = 8 callref = 0x0746

Bearer Capability i = 0x8090A2

Standard = CCITT

Transer Capability = Speech

Transfer Mode = Circuit

Transfer Rate = 64 kbit/s

Channel ID i = 0xA18381

Preferred, Channel 1

Calling Party Number i = 0x2181, 'xxxxxxxxxx'

Plan:ISDN, Type:National

Called Party Number i = 0xA1, 'xxxxxxxxxx'

Plan:ISDN, Type:National

*Mar 2 02:10:35.673: ISDN Se1/0:23 Q931: TX -> CALL_PROC pd = 8 callref = 0x87

Channel ID i = 0xA98381

Exclusive, Channel 1

*Mar 2 02:10:35.729: ISDN Se1/0:23 Q931: TX -> ALERTING pd = 8 callref = 0x874

*Mar 2 02:10:42.837: ISDN Se1/0:23 Q931: TX -> DISCONNECT pd = 8 callref = 0x8

Cause i = 0x80AF - Resource unavailable, unspecified

*Mar 2 02:10:42.853: ISDN Se1/0:23 Q931: RX <- RELEASE pd = 8 callref = 0x0746

*Mar 2 02:10:42.861: ISDN Se1/0:23 Q931: TX -> RELEASE_COMP pd = 8 callref = 0

x8746

The CCO documentation does not yield much information other than that, the resources are not available and that it could be a temporary problem.

The gateway is H323 type, with ISDN PRI to the PSTN. Outbound calls work just fine. Problem is only with inbound calls. You can place incoming calls, the IP Phone rings, as soon as the user picks up the phone the user gets a fast busy, the caller keeps hearing the ringing of the phone and the router generates "Resources not available" error message.

Any thoughts ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

I don't have your config, but I'll make an educated guess. The key here is that the call dies when you pick up the phone. There is probably a failure to find a compatible codec between the two endpoints. That negotiation doesn't happen until the endpoints, the gateway and the phone, actually try to set up the media stream. This negotiation depends both on the H.323 gateway's configuration (dial-peer configuration, voice-class configuration) and CallManager Region configuration.

You say you're calling an IP phone, which will support g.729 (the H.323 gateway's default) or g.711. Regions won't shoot you down for using a low bandwidth codec where a high bandwidth codec is available. There's no chance you would be trying to invoke a transcoder in this situation unless you've configured the gateway to use some oddball codec that the phones don't support.

Do you perhaps have your dial-peers or a voice-class hardcoded to force the gateway to use g.711 only? Regions /will/ shoot you down for trying to use a high bandwidth codec when only low bandwidth codecs are available. Your dial-peers should be configured with a voice-class that tries g.711 and then g.729. That way you'll use the best quality codec available, but you can still call phones that are in a g.729-only Region.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123tcr/123tvr/vrht_v1.htm#wp998755

As a fallback, I think I've seen similar cause codes if the router is short of RAM. Check 'sh mem sum' and the logs to see if anything interesting is happening on that front. I don't think this is as likely as the codec explanation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

I don't have your config, but I'll make an educated guess. The key here is that the call dies when you pick up the phone. There is probably a failure to find a compatible codec between the two endpoints. That negotiation doesn't happen until the endpoints, the gateway and the phone, actually try to set up the media stream. This negotiation depends both on the H.323 gateway's configuration (dial-peer configuration, voice-class configuration) and CallManager Region configuration.

You say you're calling an IP phone, which will support g.729 (the H.323 gateway's default) or g.711. Regions won't shoot you down for using a low bandwidth codec where a high bandwidth codec is available. There's no chance you would be trying to invoke a transcoder in this situation unless you've configured the gateway to use some oddball codec that the phones don't support.

Do you perhaps have your dial-peers or a voice-class hardcoded to force the gateway to use g.711 only? Regions /will/ shoot you down for trying to use a high bandwidth codec when only low bandwidth codecs are available. Your dial-peers should be configured with a voice-class that tries g.711 and then g.729. That way you'll use the best quality codec available, but you can still call phones that are in a g.729-only Region.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123tcr/123tvr/vrht_v1.htm#wp998755

As a fallback, I think I've seen similar cause codes if the router is short of RAM. Check 'sh mem sum' and the logs to see if anything interesting is happening on that front. I don't think this is as likely as the codec explanation.

Risat
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue. My configuration and debug logs are attached. Please help.

You are respoing to a 9 years old thread, and in the wrong forum.

You need to post in "Ip telephony" with a clear description of the problem, including call flow.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: