Views
Helpful
Replies

max conferencing sessions in meetme and adhoc

tarun.pahuja
Level 1
Level 1

folks,

if we are using NM-HDV module as hardware transoding devices, what are the maximum number of participants we can have in a conference

(meet me as well as adhoc). documentation says 8, but we are unable to go beyond 4 users in an adhoc conference.??? what about software conference brige, doc. says 128 participants, how can we use this feature, if we have hardware and software conference resources??

Thanks

6 Replies 6

brian-henry
Level 4
Level 4

Check your service parameter for CallManager for Ad-Hoc and Meet-Me. I do believe that the Adhoc is set by default to 4. Both the Adhoc and Meetme can be adjusted to allow more.

With reach PVDM2-64, you have 4 DSP. Each DSP have 240 MIPS. Each call on G711 is 15 MIPS. Each G729a call is 30 MIPS. Fax is 30 MIPS. You do the math. Conference requires a dedicated DSP, so you need to make sure the DSP are freed. For each DSP, we can support two 8 users conference of G729a and G711. For each DSP, we can support eight conference of 8 users

HTH

Brian

Brians thanks for the input. you seem very knoweldgeable!!

i have a question for you:

1) what is the maximum number of participants for a meetme conference when using hardware resources? like for adhoc you said 8 per conference.

2) i read somewhere that the software conference bridge lets 128 streams inside a conference, that means i could have 128 participants in a conference if using software conference resources. My question is that how do i mix software conference bridge with hardware. if i have both in a media resource group, how do i know which one will a new conference take?

Thanks,

Tarun

Please go through this Link,It has answers to Your questions ,check out the section for NM-HDV System Capacities

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123cgcr/vvfax_c/callc_c/ccm_c/intcnf2.htm

tarun,

The maximum for a meet-me depends on the resources that you have availble. I would see what the average conference attendees are, like on an average 6,7-15 and then do some calculation to see what DSP resources that you would need if you wanted to use hardware conferencing.

Hardware conferecning is always better then software. I do believe that you are referencing the following when speaking of the 128 participants.

The following system requirements and limitations apply to conference bridges:

•Conference devices that are configured for software support G.711 codecs by default.

•If the CiscoIP Voice Media Streaming App service runs on the same server as the CiscoCallManager service, a software conference should not exceed the maximum limit of 48 participants.

•If the CiscoIP Voice Media Streaming App service runs on a different server than the CiscoCallManager service, a software conference cannot exceed the maximum limit of 128 participants.

•Conference devices that are configured for hardware provide transcoding for G.711, G.729, G.723, G711 GSM Full Rate (FR), and G711 GSM Enhanced Full Rate (EFR) codecs.

•Full-duplex streams per MTPWS-X6608 port cannot exceed the maximum limit of 32.

2. As far for the second question. If you have your conference resources all in one group then it uses the first in the group that is listed from top to bottom. So if I start a conference call and the first in the MRG was a SWCFB it would use this and if a HWCFB was next then the next participant would use the HWCFB. So basically it evenly distributes the resources as they are requested from whatever is in the MRGL.

What you could do is keep each resource in its own group and then when you build your MRGL you can add the order of the MRG's of SWCFB first or last. Bassically it will always use the first MRG first until there are no more and then it will go to the next available Conference MRG in the MRGL.

Let me know if this helps

Brian

I do have one question, how would you calculate this for a 6608-T1?

I have a customer, with only about 35 phones on their system, but they purchased 2 6608-T1 modules (for 4 T1's, redundancy) so they have a wealth of CFB resources available. Is there a probelm with a 16 person meet-me if the resources ARE available? What kind of loss can you expect?

Thank alot...

-- Justin

Justin,

There would not be a problem as long as you have the available resources either software or hardware. Of course hardware always gives you better voice quality.

What loss are you referencing?

Some specs for meet-me and the 6608 blade.

The following system requirements and limitations apply to conference bridges:

•Conference devices that are configured for software support G.711 codecs by default.

•If the CiscoIP Voice Media Streaming App service runs on the same server as the CiscoCallManager service, a software conference should not exceed the maximum limit of 48 participants.

•If the CiscoIP Voice Media Streaming App service runs on a different server than the CiscoCallManager service, a software conference cannot exceed the maximum limit of 128 participants.

•Conference devices that are configured for hardware provide transcoding for G.711, G.729, G.723, G711 GSM Full Rate (FR), and G711 GSM Enhanced Full Rate (EFR) codecs.

•Full-duplex streams per MTPWS-X6608 port cannot exceed the maximum

On the CiscoCatalyst 6000, conferencing services cannot cross port boundaries limit of 32.

•PSTN gateway mode: 24 sessions on the WS-6608-T1 module; 30 sessions on the WS-6608-E1

•Conferencing mode: 32 conferencing sessions for G.711 or G.723; 24conferencing sessions for G.729

•MTP mode: 24 MTP transcoding sessions for G.723 to G.711; 24MTP transcoding sessions for G.729 to G.711

Let me know if this is what you are looking for or need more information.