cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP vs. BRI

wpinberlin
Level 1
Level 1

I am configuring a 2610XM as a MGCP gateway. I have been able to configure the router and the CCM and they are seeing each other. However my BRI interfaces are showing "Not Registered" in the CCM adminstrator. Before i troubleshoot further i should ask - do the BRI interfaces need to be up in order to register with the CCM? The customer has not yet installed their ISDN circuits - so layer 1 is showing 'DEACTIVATED' in the 'show isdn status' response. Can i configure this router further without the interfaces being up?

thanks in advance!

William

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

William,

Here you have the BRI configuration that I have set up for my BRIs (I am in Spain):

interface BRI0/0

no ip address

isdn switch-type basic-net3

isdn incoming-voice voice

isdn static-tei 0

voice-port 0/1

translate called 1

compand-type a-law

cptone ES

timeouts initial 3

timeouts interdigit 3

You could try the 'isdn bind-L3 ccm-manager

service mgcp' in configuration mode. You can check too the next guide that explains all the configurations for MGCP and CallManager with IOS routers:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123cgcr/vvfax_c/callc_c/ccm_c/index.htm

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Juan Luis

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

lpezj
Level 7
Level 7

I have experienced this situation with E1 trunks and they are not registered as MGCP in CallManager until the circuit is up.

Regards,

Juan Luis

wpinberlin
Level 1
Level 1

Still having problems getting the call manager to see the endpoints - even after i have installed the ISDN circuits.

here is the partial config

interface BRI1/0

no ip address

!

interface BRI1/1

no ip address

!

ip default-gateway 192.168.5.254

ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.5.254

!

ip http server

!

!

!

control-plane

!

!

!

voice-port 1/0/0

!

voice-port 1/0/1

!

ccm-manager mgcp

!

mgcp

mgcp call-agent 192.168.5.135 service-type mgcp version 0.1

mgcp dtmf-relay voip codec all mode out-of-band

no mgcp validate domain-name

!

mgcp profile default

!

!

!

dial-peer voice 1 pots

service mgcpapp

port 1/0/0

!

dial-peer voice 2 pots

service mgcpapp

port 1/0/1

a few questions:

do i need to use the 'isdn static-tei' command on the BRI interfaces?

do i need to use the 'compand-type a-law' command on the voice port interfaces?

does anyone have a link to a config guide for the BRI endpoints?

any help on this is appreciated - tis my first VoIP config!

thanks in advance

William

William,

Here you have the BRI configuration that I have set up for my BRIs (I am in Spain):

interface BRI0/0

no ip address

isdn incoming-voice voice

isdn static-tei 0

voice-port 0/1

translate called 1

compand-type a-law

cptone ES

timeouts initial 3

timeouts interdigit 3

You could try the 'isdn bind-L3 ccm-manager

service mgcp' in configuration mode. You can check too the next guide that explains all the configurations for MGCP and CallManager with IOS routers:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123cgcr/vvfax_c/callc_c/ccm_c/index.htm

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Juan Luis

What version of CM are you running? you will require minimum CM 4.1 for BRI support for Callmanager. If you dont see the BRI interface/port available on CCMAdmin gateway page then its not supported yet.

You really should also have your BRI line connected to the telco switch and ready for the isdn q931 backhaul D & B channel between BRI interface and CM registered and UP.

Otherwise your other workaround would be to have voice gateway configured for H323 instead of MGCP.

Cheers!

-Yavuz

luckily i am running CCM version 4.1(2) and IOS 12.3(14)T2. I can see the endpoints in the CCM but haven't been able to register them. I am going to try to use the

'isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager service mgcp'

and see how that works.

unfortunately the devices are remote and the customer is using the ISDN lines for another purpose, so i won't be able to test until after CoB. But i will post my results.

thanx for the feedback from both of you!

~William

Thanks Gentlemen!

i set up the BRI interfaces with the

'isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager service mgcp'

command and the endpoints are now perfectly recognized, registered and controlled by the CCM. My problem now is that when i call - the phone is picked up but remains in 'idle' - i think this is a CCM issue - since this is my first time configuring the CCM can anyone give me a pointer to a next step in troubleshooting?

as always - thanx for the assistance

~William

William,

Could you supply more information? It could be codecs problems, for example.

Please, don´t forget to rate the posts ;)

Regards,

Juan Luis

I solved the problem, i dug down a little deeper into the call using 'debug isdn q931' on the router. i found that the calls were being dropped due to the number being unassigned. a configuration of the endpoints in the CCM to limit the 'significant digits' to 2 and then a reboot of the router solved the problem. Of course now i have another - there are only eleven phones installed - I have set up a translation pattern of 'XX' to route unknown extenstions to the correct phone. It seems to work with any combination except '00' as the two significant digits - 'xxxxx00' is bounced back to the ISDN provider. Is this expected behaviour? Should i add another translation rule explicity for '00' or is there a way of writing a single translation rule which will include everything?

I think that the better solution is to set up a single translation pattern for 00.

Regards,

Juan Luis