cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Midlets can be launched on 7970?

russell
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to launch midlets on 7970? I have created one using the j2me toolkit and I am able to launch it using the simulator that comes along with it. When I try to launch it similarly using the CiscoIPPhoneExecute no such luck. Any help/

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

stephan.steiner
Spotlight
Spotlight

While the 7970 uses Java internally, don't let that confuse you into thinking any Java functionality is exposed because it is not and there's no indication that it's ever going to be. All you have is the CiscoIPPhone interface and that's it.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

stephan.steiner
Spotlight
Spotlight

While the 7970 uses Java internally, don't let that confuse you into thinking any Java functionality is exposed because it is not and there's no indication that it's ever going to be. All you have is the CiscoIPPhone interface and that's it.

That's sad. Thanks for your response. It looks like Cisco is not even add this functionality in a near release.

It would be great if they exposed that functionality to developers. I recall that they alluded to exposing this functionality at a future date during the 7970 beta, but I've yet to see it on any upcoming features lists.

The Pingtel Expressa (www.pingtel.com) has this functionality, though it's a SIP phone and won't work with CallManager.

Let's hope that this functionality is opened up sooner rather than later -it would be a great differentiator for the 7970 within the CM environment.

Hello Stephan

Your answer about Java on IP Phones is now 2 1/2 years old. Do you know whether it has since become possible to run Java midlets on the newer phones or if it is planned in the near future?

Thanks Beat

I've heard somewhere that this might come one day, but I don't even recall the source (just that it wasn't Cisco) - hence I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet.

About 2-3 years ago I went to Cisco developer conference at San Jose, CA and they said Midlet support would be added by June of that year. Never heard about it since then.

jshepard
Level 4
Level 4

Midlets have been in consideration by Cisco for some time. To run a midlet on the IP Phone, the phones firmware must change. As it stands, the 7970 will not support midlets.

hi,

I have developed an MIDlet application on CISCO IP phone CISCOIP PHONE 7975.It is launching and working fine in connecting to the database and updating the database also.

The problem i am facing is, the phone getting restarted often, if i left my midlet as such say 3 minutes.I have checked the log files.The follwoing entry, i found.

JVM: Font.addRes() owner=javax.microedition.lcdui.Font@ebccac this=Font name=Unicode

But in my entire application, i have not used this Font class.But still i am getting that exception.Can any body please help me out to resolve the issue